5 Biggest changes in .NET's upgrade (2002 to 2003)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Jul 11, 2003.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I'm sure there are literally hundreds of changes, but these are the 5 best things that I have seen thus far.

• Line separators in VB .NET (Separating different blocks of code - IE: Functions, properties, methods, etc)
    • When type Try it auto generates the catch along with end try.
    • Web services now load 100% fine. Before it would sporadically bark up a message about insufficient rights, which is not true.
    • J# (Microsoft's Java wannabe).
    • Mobile device tools.

There are a ton of other things, such as more ADO.NET providers (Oracle), enhanced upgrade wizards, enhanced security, and performance.

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

best idea evar :hug: :wackit:

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

The biggest I've seen is the rehaul of C++. :drool:

4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

There are others that i've noticed, I mainly work with ASP.Net and use vb.net as code behind... My favorite new feature is when you type in a control on the aspx file it automaticaly links to it in the code behind vb file. .Net is lightyears away from the last visual studio... Although it makes me woner where programming languages are going... since vb/c#/J#? use the same runtime libraries, whats the freaking point of having them all.. (aside from another microsoft scam to sell more products)

5. CompiledMonkey

That really is nice. :big grin:

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

True...

It's almost like a preference. Flavors if you would..

Although, it's good to learn C# and J#. Their syntax, while similar to VB's, is far closer to the "standard" syntax. "Standard syntax" (IMO) being C/CGI,C++,PHP,Java,etc.

7. CompiledMonkey

It's all syntax perference. You get to use the same libraries (speaking on C# and VB.NET) and it compiles down to the same machine language.

8. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Oh, and another thing that I love...

When you double click on a control (in a windows form), you can select the controls property right then and there.

If that doesn't make any sense, I'll explain in further detail.