GUN 5.45 AK options

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mideel25, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

I would really like to get rid of my century Galil (no real problems with it...just really an AK that shoots expensive ammo and uses expensive/hard to find mags; not sure why I bought it). and get a 5.45 ak of some sort. I'll be buying a couple of cases of the surplus ammo...I have no problems cleaning after corrosive ammo.

I am weighing the options of buying a saiga for $330-360 and then converting it slowly, starting with a basic kit from K-var. The saiga has a chrome lined barrel and is generally of better "base" quality than the other cheap 5.45 ak options, from what I have gathered. I'll be converting it myself, if I go that direction fwiw.

Other options are to go with a "non-keyholing tantal", a Lancaster 74, an Elk River 74, or one of the more expensive Arsenal 74's(unlikely)

It will be a shooter; not looking to spend a shit ton, just want it to be reliable, doesn't have to be beautiful or totally satisfy the AK mallninjas. Tell me what you think...I haven't really thought about what to do with my Galil beyond trading it locally if I can find someone with what I am looking for :o

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

3. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

4. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

5. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

other day when AIM got the lancasters back in stock, they accidentally used a picture of an "In-range AK74" which has a really good repuation, usually being around $600. At the $479 price point I got excited for a second :hsd:

6. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I have a WASR-2 with just shy of 2k rounds down the pipe that I'll sell you. No sight canting, straight shooter. Just send me a PM.

7. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Hmmm...Lancaster, Henderson or Saiga?