5.1 Surround problems, only 2 speakers working

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BigJohnson, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    I just bought a Philips DFR 1600 Receiver and speakers from a pawn shop. All the speakers checked out fine and the sub works great. The only issue I have is that only the Left Front and Right Front are the only speakers that really kick on (along with the sub)

All of the wires are plugged into the right spots, I have reversed around all the wires, etc

The center channel and rear speakers work, but only on certain surround modes. The center speaker only works when it's on just the front speakers, excluding the sub.

The rear works on hall mode, but are practically unnoticeable in sound. If my ear is right next to them I BARELY hear them.

I've had problems like this on every 5.1 system I have ever owned and haven't cared enough to make a post until now. Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'd love to actually have some real sound to this.

2. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Oct 19, 2001
    First and foremost, there is very little out there in terms of media that's going to give you 5 discreet channels constantly, usually the 2/4 surrounds are going to be used very sparingly.

If you want constant sound from all 5/6/7 speakers put your receiver in 5/7 channel stereo mode (or, I think, PL II ex) ... Though IMO this is pointless since you're only splitting a 2 channel signal anyway.

I can't think of any reason other than, a) improper wiring or b) broken equipment, that a center channel would only kick on when the sub is turned off, though there are some 3 speaker media configurations that could cause that.

In summary I'd say your problem is almost surely not an actual problem but just a lack of understanding the various surround formats, how to set your receiver to them, and what they actually do.