5.1 Sound Card to Receiver

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by matrix243, Jul 18, 2003.

1. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

I'm thinking of buying a PC for home but I'm curious as to how you guys have your PC's hooked up to your 5.1 channel receivers? Are they optical or RCA style outputs? Unfortunately I only have 2 digital inputs on my receiver, 1 optical, 1 RCA, and both are being used. Any help would be great.

2. TekniX

TekniX OT Supporter

don't use the coaxial output of a sound blaster card to connect to your receiver, it sends out +/- 5 volts, while my receiver is expecting +/- .5 V, i verified this with a oscilliscope.

3. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Well, if your sound card doesn't say Live 5.1, Audigy, or nForce on it, you can forget about digital 5.1.

If you're going the digital route, coax or optical doesn't make a difference. You'll probably be limited by your sound card as to what type of connection you can use, although there are affordable digital signal converters made. ~$20.

I didn't know anything about Live 5.1 cards outputting more voltage than they should. Somehow, though it doesn't suprise me. 5 volts vs. 0.5 volts would not necessairly kill your receiver, but depending on how it's designed, IT COULD.

For cards that do 5.1 or more, but analog only you may be in a bit of trouble receiver-wise. You'll need a receiver that 6 channel direct input. Not many receivers offer that, as it's not really necessary on a receiver with a DD/DTS decoder onboard. The Sherwood RD-6108 has one, but I've never seen another that does. You may be better off getting a nice set of PC speakers with analog hook-ups instead of trying to plumb it into your receiver.

Disclaimer: I'm not LOUDSYSTEM.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Are you shitting me?

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

6. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Let me refine my statement a bit here. All sound cards with digital outputs can pass a digital sound stream. The only program that I know of on a computer that utilizes this feature is DVD players like PowerDVD. Allowing you to listen to your DVDs in 5.1.

The only sound cards that can render a Dolby Digital 5.1 sound stream from Windows are the Live 5.1, Audigy, and nForce. nForce, of course, being a motherboard with integrated sound and not a sound card you can buy seperately.

There are licensing fees associated with encoding DD5.1 sound, and as you can imagine most sound card manufacturers aren't too keen on paying this fee.

Again, to reiterate: Only the Live 5.1, Audigy, and nForce can do DD5.1 from regular programs and games like Battlefield 1942 and WinAMP.

7. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

8. 04

04 Guest

Uhh, I have many avi files with ac3 soundtracks and my 8738 can pass the stream just fine. And I use windows media player or BSplayer, and I am NOT using the intervideo or cyberlink decoders.

The only thing the nforce2 has is DD ENCODING that these cards don't feature.

9. 04

04 Guest

Are you sure? I have NEVER heard of this happening. Did you hook it up properly? :dunno:

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Lots of receivers have that feature - but you're right - unless you knew that before you bought yours, chances are it doesn't.

11. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Exactly. My point, which I obviously didn't eloquate well enough, was that sound cards with the exception of Audigy, Live 5.1, and nForce cannot take EAX or DirectSound3d and render it into a DolbyD 5.1 sound stream.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2003
  12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

To summarize what he's been saying: Digitial Audio != Dolby Digital.

13. 04

04 Guest

Hmm, it sounded like you were saying that other soundcards couldnt pass anything that didnt come from a software dvd player :dunno: My bad.

14. 04

04 Guest

Precisely :cool:

15. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

I was using DVD software as a lay example. My point was that very few sound cards can create their own DD5.1 sound stream. Most can only pass a pregenerated one.

16. TekniX

TekniX OT Supporter

yeah i'm sure

i checked the coax output from my receiver denon (.5V) from my dvd player onkyo (.5V) and from sound blaster live 5.1 (5 V)

go to www.hardforums.com and do a search, it has been confirmed.

i decided that i don't want to damage my denon with a $30 card.