5.1 setup w/ HDTV advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lathrash, Nov 30, 2007.

1. lathrash

lathrash New Member

I'm trying to help my sister and brother in law piece together a home theater for their new home and DLP HDTV. Their living room only has enough space for a 5.1 setup. I was thinking of just getting a nice older receiver like a 5.1 Denon or Onkyo or something along those lines that is a couple years old but still good. They'd like to keep the price of the receiver under $250.

What it will be connected to:
    -HD cable tv
    -dvd player w/ 1080p upconvert
    -5 speakers and sub (have not decided what to get yet)
    -50" Samsung 1080p LED DLP projection HDTV
    -HD dvd or BlueRay player sometime later

I don't see the advantage in the new 5.1 receivers by a brand like Yamaha over an older 5.1 receiver from Denon or Onkyo. Is much lost in the audio if it is sent through a separate audio source if a receiver cannot process HDMI? Can I get similar sound quality from an optical connection?

I really like the new Onkyo 605, but it is more than they want to spend... and they don't need 7 channels. I also saw that the Denon 588 is only a little over $300, but again 7 channels. Is it that much better than say, a Denon 3600 from back in the day? Am I wasting my time with an older receiver?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. David02

David02 Guest

Best value for that kind of budget would just be to get a 5.1 HTIB. That way you get your reciever and speakers all at once and are ready to go.

Just go to Circuit City or BB and check out some. There are some good holiday sales going on, so you should be able to find some great deals.

Avoid ones that have a built in DVD player! Usually on those if the DVD player breaks the rest of your system is useless. Just find one that has a reciever, 5 speakers, and a sub then hook up your existing stuff to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
  3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Yea trying to get a receiver and 5 speakers and a sub for under your budget will be pretty hard to do.

4. lathrash

lathrash New Member

Maybe i wasn't clear...

I would like the keep the price of the receiver under $250.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:ugh:

7. knell

knell New Member

I have no experience with buying speakers online, but was comparing that system to http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-532-Harmony,24,36,36.aspx

vs getting two higher quality bookshelves/floorstanders for my apartment and filling out the rest of the system later.

Any thoughts?

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I know nothing about aperion. I should though considering they come from my home state.

I should swing by there some day when I'm bored.

I could even listen to them and tell you my impressions :p.

Blah I'm feeling lazy today though.

9. lathrash

lathrash New Member

I'm gonna look into that system and see if it fits within the budget. I sent them an email to find out what receiver and dvd player come with the package. I did a little searching and found some good reviews for the x-series speakers. Thanks Ronin.