5.1 or 6.1 dolby dig surr

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shiznits, Mar 13, 2002.

1. shiznits

shiznits What

Is it worth the upgrade of 5.1 to 6.1 dds>

2. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

I haven't heard 6.1 yet, I imagine it would sound a bit better...the concept makes sense. It's going to be around for a while, so you might as well spend the extra cash, but its not going to be a life and death thing. If you havent heard DD or DTS, then 5.1 will amaze you, but if you have 5.1 and you heard 6.1 and you think its that much better, go for it.

3. shiznits

shiznits What

thanks

4. JSHTROD

JSHTROD New Member

Since I don't have ears in the back of my head, I don't think it's worth shit.

Another gimmik to keep us spending on hometheater gear.

5. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

6.1 does sound pretty good. It fills in the soundstage in the rears a lot more than in 5.1, just like how the center speaker fills in the void between your fronts. BUT properly setup, a 5.1 system will sound just as good. The only thing to consider is 6.1 discrete dts. Unfortunately there aren't too many dvd's (none that I know of) that have 6.1 discrete dts so its pretty much moot.

6. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

heh... how about 7.1
    read a little bit about it in my new issue of Home Theater Mag

7. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

The only 7.1 setup that seems to worth anything at all is Logic 7. The proprietary format of Lexicon. Used Lexicon DC2's or MC1's are going for about $2-3. But apparently the parent company of Lexicon has put Logic 7 into the HK 8000 (?) a receiver from harmon kardon.

Actually there apparently is a 10.1 setup created by Tomlinson Holman, the TH of THX fame. I think I'd have to get rid of all the furniture and equipment just to get 11 speakers in my theater room.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2002
  8. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

no kidding! thats insane! i guess that set up would really only work well in a true home theater enviornment... like rasied floors, projector, screen... that set up

4 down each wall, two mains and a sub im guessing?

9. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

for the most part I agree but for 5.1 surround soundtracks where most of the action is sent to the center I've found that by rearranging my mains to replace a center, I lose too much of the width of the soundstage. Maybe its just my setup. My speakers need to be 10 ft apart and if I don't use a center, dialogue position doesn't seem to match up with my screen as well. If I rearrange then he "surround" effects don't seem to be matching up with the width of my screen.

However, in 2 channel stereo, I get great imaging with depth and width of soundstage. I think it's more due to the program material. Just my observations in my setup.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

WHOA!!!!
    WAIT A MINUTE!

I am a HUDGE home theater fan. And ive spent PLENTY of time setting up various systems.

To say that 5.1 is a marketing gimic...BULLSHIT! Obviously your def, or retarded...becuase 5.1 surround sounds makes a HUDGE difference in your listening. If that statement was true, that it was a gimmic, and you cant hear shit from behind, you would look preaty stupid franticly scaning the horizon ont he sidewalk when you hear "hey what time is it"... Ears arent like eyes, and the sound modulates and reverberates inside the ear canal, and gives a perseption of depth and direction. Surround sound is NOT a gimmic. Thats as stupid as saying 32bit color is a gimmic, 16bit is plenty fine, fuck, we might as well all run 256colors.

Not needing a center channel? Bullshit. Most all 5.1 is encoded with a very large majority of sound data in the center channel. Which is NEEDED for proper vocal posisioning, and proper soundstage, especially when it comes to audio panning.
    True while proper setup of speakers is ALWAYS crucial for proper sound stage, it doesnt mean that you can omit others in the process. Especially when your heading with a HT setup, using a center channel to help widen the sound field is a MUST, unless your the ONLY one that watches movies at any given time. And even still the center channel is a really needed. There are some recievers that do have setup for "phantom" center channels, but nothing replaces the real deal.

IMHO, if you can afford 6.1, get 6.1. Most all coming DVD's will be avliable in DTS-ES or DD-EX 6.1, and from there many things will be moving to 7.1. But probibly not for at leat antoher year untill it becomes the "requirement".

Just remember, if you DO decide to get a 6.1 reciever, dont skimp. BUY THE GOOD STUFF! You will appreciate the sound more, and appreciate your investment more, if you get what you pay for.
    Look at Denon, Onkyo, Harmen/Kardon, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, and some of the higher end Kenwood. Dont buy the cheap Panisonic, Pioneer, Sony stuff. Especially not eh cheaper Sony, it sounds like shit, very harsh, and very loud. I HIGHLY recemend Denon. I use their products almost exclusivly, and i have yet to have a problem with them, and their quality is seconed to none. Remember, when it comes to audio, 9/10 you get what you pay for.

11. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

I don't think 7.1 will be an official format for a least a couple years. There just a handful of dvd's with DD EX and even fewer dts 6.1 ES discreete. Like I noted above the only true somewhat discreete 7.1 decoding is in the form of Logic 7, which is a proprietary format from Lexicon. And it's currently only in available in the Lexicon line of preamp/processors and the HK 8000 receiver from Lexicon's parent company, Harmon Int.
    Logic 7 takes 5.1 info and turns it into 7.1. No other company has something similar that is even as good. My EAD processor does a 7.1 but it's not up to par as the Lexicon. Receivers on the market only do 6.1, with often the option to have 2 rear matrixed surround centers. But signal is the same for both rear speakers so not really 7.1.

So if you can get a quality 5.1 receiver you should be more than happy. Until the next change in formats.

12. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

Kazomnt,

Yeah apparently they add two front-wide speakers and two that go somewhere from the ceiling to give some "height" to the soundfield, I think.

You can read a little more about this at:
    http://db.widescreenreview.com/webn...ticle=holman 10.1&-max=10&-recid=38193&-find=

13. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Id like to see a 8.2 format standard in the future. Front and rear center front left and right, rear left and right and side left and right. the 8 speakers would be more than enough for pretty much everyone. But i want two different levels for my LF sounds. A low bass frequency and one just a bit higher. I know you can just set up two subs each at different frequency levels (which i plan on doing soon) but two discreet channels would be bad. I have been looking at this new yamaha 6.1 but i think im going to wait just a little longer. cheers! :)

14. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest