5.1 dvd sound when I only have two tower speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2000GT, Jan 11, 2005.

1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Kinda stupid question I am sure, but this is the deal. I have an HK 130 reciever. I only have two tower speakers hooked up to it right now, as I cant afford the rest of the set.

When I run DVD's they are all set to run at 5.1 for the most part. If I set my reciever to run 5.1 I get almost no sound ofcourse cause I am missing 3 speakers. Since I am running optical cable I only have the option of setting the reciever to vmax far or near. I believe this is the setting i want if I only have 2 speakers. Is this the optimal way of running things right now? Is this optical cable better than the RCA cable method?

2. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Most receivers have a setup menu, in that menu you basically do something like this:

Center - yes/no
    Fronts - small/large
    Surrounds - small/large/no
    Subwoofer - yes/no

That is how mine is setup, obviously it will vary from rec. to rec. and it may not be available at all. Once you have that menu setup correctly your rec. will do the rest of the work and send the correct signals to the speakers you have.

p.s. post what your brand/model is that will help if you run into problems.

3. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Harmon Kardon AVR-130
    Harmon Kardon DVD 22
    Prima 27" LCD TV

4. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Check PG. 16 of your maual for the H/K AVR130 it tells you exactly how to set it up :)