5.0 questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by oakback, Oct 6, 2008.

1. oakback

oakback New Member

1. What should I expect from a stock Ford 302? I've got on in my '90 Mazda RX-7 convertible, but haven't got it running yet. I'm hoping it'll be a bit peppy-er than the stock n/a 13b (and enough to account for the weight increase).

2. Is there an inexpensive way to relocate the alternator to the lower left (while facing the pulleys), rather than the upper left? Are there any stock brackets that would work? I don't need anything shiny, but I also don't have the means to fabricate. Right now at the current location it's going to be nearly impossible to get the rad hoses around the alt, and the tensioner (attached to the alt bracket) is sitting pretty darn high. I'm gonna have to cut a hole in the hood for the air cleaner, but a tensioner popping up would look just plain silly.

This is all new to me, I'm a rotary guy, and have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to a V8. This swap has taken over a year (gave up on it for a while, life happens, kids and stuff), but finally getting around to it with help from other car guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. CJPA

CJPA New Member

3. CJPA

CJPA New Member

What year is the 302 from? Is it fuel-injected?

4. oakback

oakback New Member

March's stuff is too $$$ and bling for me, I don't care how it looks, I just need it out of the way.

1985, carb'd

I'm not sure if it was originally fuel injected or not, but I've got a carb on it. The history of this motor is pretty sketchy, I was told it was from an HO Mustang, and after posting pics online, the consensus was that it's from an LTD or a truck.

5. oakback

oakback New Member

Anybody?

6. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

I think that years mustang engine put out about 200hp 275 torque maybe less for a truck engine :dunno:

as for relocating the alt I'm not totally sure but I guess you might be able to fabricate something if you switched it with smog pump. but then you have mess with tensioner and belts, etc. maybe check out the mustang forums see if its been done

7. oakback

oakback New Member

Well that's a definite improvement! Stock n/a 13b had maybe 150hp and less than 150 ft/lb at the crank.

8. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

That 13B probably weighs less than half, too.

9. Gunnar

Gunnar Getting closer to HELL everyday. OT Supporter

Yeah, an '85 carbed car is rated at 210hp and 275trq, which should translate to 165-170whp and 210-220wtrq.

Leave the smog stuff intact, the weight savings is not worth it. Do a basic tune up (Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, reset the timing to 12-13 degrees BTDC if you are going to run premium).

Then start out with 1.7 roller rockers, a street pulley (crank pulley), shorty headers, maybe a 2.5" catback and an electric fan.

That will get you going and you will have a noticeably faster / meaner sounding car.:bigthumb::bigthumb:

10. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Another RX-7 no longer an RX car. Once worse, you used a 23 year old carbed 5.Slow.

11. oakback

oakback New Member

haha, I was wondering when I would get this.

A guy had the 5.0, and was going to install it in a GTUs (yeah, the rare one). He offered to trade, so I obliged.

I also have 2 other FCs, one of which was my autocross car (coupe) before it blew a seal (after I started the swap on the vert). I'm a huge rotary fan, I wanted this car originally just because of the unique motor. I will always be a rotary buff. I'm a mod on nopistons.com, attended their huge autocross/bbq a few years ago, and organized several rotary-only meets in my area.

The vert is just for fun, I want it just for a cruising car. I'm aware of the weight difference, and the balance difference, and it doesn't matter. This will only be a fun street car for weekends and meets.

I plan to build up another coupe with a ported n/a (maybe a 4-port or p-port) when funds permit, for a dedicated autocross car.

12. oakback

oakback New Member

Whoa, I have to get it running first! I don't even know if this engine will turn over.

I don't have the smog stuff, never did have it, and never will bother to buy/install it. I've got headers from a Cobra, no exhaust yet, the thinnest e-fan possible (bad clearance issues) paired with the biggest radiator that will fit, "performance" pulleys (whatever that means), and the motor may or may not have roller rockers already. After looking up the block stamping, I have an 80% chance it has the rollers.

13. Gunnar

Gunnar Getting closer to HELL everyday. OT Supporter

If it is a "Roller Motor", then it has a hydraulic roller cam and lifters (225hp 300trq), but uses the old style non roller rocker arms.

Non roller rocker arms:

[​IMG]

A nice set of roller rocker arms free up some hp due to no friction, plus the added lift on the cam.

[​IMG]

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN-44746-16&autoview=sku

With that said, unless it has sat outside or had a catastrophic failure, these engines are hard to kill (bulletproof [not idiot proof] up to 450 whp).

Even if it needs a rebuild, should be simple and inexpensive. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

14. oakback

oakback New Member

Supposedly it had a "top end" rebuild, but I was told many things about this motor that turned out to not be true.

I found a thread on v8rx7forum where a guy replaced the front cover and accessory brackets with those from a '91 t-bird, apparently it freed up a lot of space. Moved the a/c compressor and alt lower, and shortened up the water pump (mine is within an inch of the raciator). I guess I'm going to try that, hopefully it's not too difficult, and hopefully I can find what I need at the pick n pull.

pic from that thread:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  15. oakback

oakback New Member

Ok, so now I'm looking for the sn95 front dress. It'll give me more hood and radiator clearance. But man is this stuff hard to find! I'm afraid of getting it piecemeal from different sources, that maybe something won't match.

Anyone know where I can get it all in one place? Junk yard didn't have anything.

16. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

yes the roller rockers would free up some power.....but so much work for so little horse power. Those iron heads cant flow anything. I would atleast switch over to some Iron Gt40 heads minimum as well