5.0 Crew come on in!! Need some halp

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mista Rude, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Mista Rude

Mista Rude OT Supporter

ok, just picked up a wonderful 91 GT 5spd with 70K original miles for 2.5k so I have left over money to put into mods. What do I have to do to get a strong 12sec car? Here is what I already have in the garage.

MAC Long tube headers
    Custom X pipe
    Flowmaster catback
    MGW Short throw shifter

I have on the way: An Explorer throttle body, along with upper and lower intakes that will be sent off to TMoss for some port work. As well as some GT40 heads going to Thumper performance for some porting as well.

What else do I need?
    I'd like to keep the rock cam cause I'm gonna go with the whole "its stock" thing so that also eliminates nitrous and a supercharger. Any other ideas? I'm looking for proven 12 sec combos, thanks.

2. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

:ugh:

3. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

So you're going to do full exhaust but you think if you put a cam in it people will know it's modded?

4. RICKIEFRAT

RICKIEFRAT La Cosa Nostra

Hi, you must be new to the internet. :wavey:

Before you go dumping money into teh engine, you might want to do routine maintenance to it so you dont break anything in the process of all the power you are going to make.

first thing i would do - 5-lug conversion and change the gears in the rear while its apart. While you are doing the conversion - Cobra brakes up front to STOP you while you are flying on the highway.

Next up - stiffin up that ride. No sense trting to do 90 around a corner on stock parts. Maximum Motorsports - UPR - Q1A - Steeda are just a few companies that will make your car handle like its on rails. Not to mention - your suspension can help you achieve your 12 sec goal.

And why would you tell someone that your car is stock ???? :mamoru:

5. Mista Rude

Mista Rude OT Supporter

not the car, just the engine. Obviously the exhaust and intake will give that away. Idunno, I thought that's what mustang guys did? Besides I have a grudge race!!

6. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Suspension, slicks, gears, and a fuck of a driver.

You dont need alot of power to hit 12's. But it wont be fast from rolls or anythig like that.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's good advice. My car might be a 1.8t Passat instead of a 5.0 Mustang, but it's still a good idea to give the car a really good once-over (like I did) to make sure nothing important is going to snap when you start tuning.

And yes, it's also a good idea to make sure the car can stop as fast as it can go, or you can end up getting in a lot of trouble very, very quickly.

8. RICKIEFRAT

Its not what all mustang guys do - its what they can afford. You do the basic bolt ons and go from there. Try going to some of the Stang forums and see what everyone is doing. There are allot of ways to get 12 sec out of a stang. everyone will have their own opinion on how to go about it.

Its all about trial and error - and there will be allot of error :o

9. Mista Rude

Mista Rude OT Supporter

I know bro. I'm a part if several forums and this is not my first mustang. I also gave a 650HP 03 cobra,. So really I'm just looking for some pushrod combos. The research I have done gas already gotten me where I'm at, explored top end and the services of thumper and TMoss.

I was just looking for a fresh set of opinions on such mods as roller rocked, pulleys. Stock or aftermarket injectors, stock or modified MAS, electric Lncoln MkVIII fans, weight reduction mods etc.
    sorry if my sarcasim made me sound like a joke or an ass. Just looking for some proven combos and opinions from OT
    thanks

10. pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster Resident Ford Troll OT Supporter

With your H/C/I setup you got now, your gonna need some 24lb injectors.. Id go with an aftermaret MAF and a custom chip on an A9L, or MSD 6AL if you prefer that way..You will also need an AFPR and a 255lph in tank pump.

Stock clutch is probably poop, so get a Mcleod or Spec. Pick up a set of 235/60/15 MT ET streets and mount em up on some 10-holes. 3.73s should be fine. 90/10s and 4 cylinder springs in the front, get some new upper and lower controls arms on the rear, plus subframe connectors.

Thats a good start to a solid car, in about 5 minutes of brainfarting :mamoru:

11. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

You could even go to a 4.10 if you wanted. I have a 5 spd with a 4.10 and MT streets on it and I am glad I did that instead of a 3.73. A lot of people say a 4.10 is too much but I have no complaints. Also, A 5 lug conversion isn't really needed right now, since it would take a lot out of your extra money you have right now.

12. operationrob

operationrob OT Supporter

do yourself a favor and pick up this book, it will be the best money you ever spend on your 5.0
    http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ford-Mustang-5-0-Performance/dp/0837602106

read it and then decide what to do with your car :bigthumb:

that book says to go with equal length headers for the best power. and that long tubes don't show a significant difference in power. plus they're a pain in the ass to put on, you need to jack the motor up, etc.

13. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

That book is not the end all be all, and if you like being slow, keep reading it and do the same shit that everyone has been doing for years, then wonder why the guy with all of those "bad mods" is blowing past you.

14. operationrob

operationrob OT Supporter

i never said anything about bad mods...

15. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Well you're basically saying that longtubes dont do anything for you, when it all depends on your combo as to what is the best for you.

16. Mista Rude

Mista Rude OT Supporter

17. Mista Rude

Mista Rude OT Supporter

So 24lbinjectors for sure then? Cause I was under the impession that 19lbs should be good for 290HP,.. let me know. Im with you on the AFPR and Fuel pump though.
    I will look into your suspension suggestions and what about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-0...015QQitemZ250257769293QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I know they are cheep'os but they have to be better than stock.

Thanks for your help.:bigthumb:

18. RICKIEFRAT

Yo bro - its all good. Even I need to walk way from the computer and cool down for a bit.

As far as injectors - 24 or 30's. IMO - id go 30's just to give you that le'way for tuning in the CPU. Custom tune i'd pick over MSD. You can do so much more.

But what ever - here is my ebay .02 pick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/30-l...020QQitemZ300234102758QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

19. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

best way to squeeze 12's out of a stang is to take it to a 1000' track

20. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

I could be wrong but it would probably take more than that to be a "proven 12 sec combo"

I would say add a supercharger (I'd probably go this route with such low mileage) or buildup the bottom end for n/a if you had the money. I mean at least do a cam.

but I think 30# injectors and custom chips would be overkill for that combo but I dunno, still workin on mine

21. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

24# is fine..
    the MSD 6al is not needed either nor is a chip (im still running off a stock A9L cpu and my mod list is wayyyyy longer then what you have)

mass-air will need to be upgrade/recalibrated for the 24# also

TMOSS does EXCELLENT work.. you will have a 12sec car dont worry.. i have seen CFM charts on his ports and they are extremely nice.. your torque will be flat across the board..

throw in a set of 3.73s and a set of MT ET streets and i can see you cutting 12.8-12.9 at 105-109 range

22. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

junk the head/intake combo and get something actually worth getting a nice port job on.

and do yourself a favor and go 5 lug and ditch the crappy fox brakes.

unless you want to crash.

23. Mista Rude

Mista Rude OT Supporter

Um, do you even know what the fuck you are talking about?

A TMOSS ported GT40 upper/lower intake combo when paired with some GT40 heads worked over by thumper have been proven to out perform the more expensive alternatives.

www.tmossporting.com
    www.thumperoforangepark.com

After spending time on those sites, can you honestly call what I have junk?

24. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

you have no idea what your talking about..

the stock pieces by themselves are crappy.. but when worked over they make a very very nice street combo... most people that buy aftermarket heads/intake dont port them out anways.. they leave them "box stock" so why not take your e7 heads and port them for one hell of alot cheaper and get the same power..:nono:

25. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

you arent gonna get more power out of a set of ported stock E7 heads then you are out of some box stock TFS twisted wedge or AFR 165's. If that were the case everyone would be using ported E7's.

Ive built many 302/306/331 combos. Why spend the money getting GT40 heads ported when you can sell the heads + the port money and get a much better head that has much more room to grow?

and FTR these are the TFS twisted wedge heads w/ a stage III port that were on my combo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008