5.0.. 190,000 miles. yes? no?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TheHeadGuy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

saw an 91 mustang gt for sale around here for pretty cheap and is great shape.. but has 190,000 miles on it, mostly highway miles. i dont know much about working on cars but i am starting to learn. do you think its worth to get it? should i check for anything when i go look at it/test drive? :hs:

2. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

If you don't know much about working on cars, i'd pass. If the car is cheap, and you knew what you were doing, you could buy it and rebuild the engine pretty cheap.

Of course, if this isn't going to be your daily driver, you've got a garage, and you are looking to learn cars, the 5.0 is a great platform for that.

How cheap is "cheap"?

3. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

Depending on how the car has been driven/taken care of, that car could die next week or it could go another 100k.

The good thing is that you can get a 302 for really cheap, so if the engine does go, you can swap a healthy one in there for just a few hundred bucks. Or you could do what I'll probably do and go for a 331 or 347 stroker when the 302 decides to go. :cool:

4. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

you read my mind.. im not going to go far with it.. just to work (10 miles away) and back and around the neighborhood. it just has to last till summer to save some money and swap it.. how much will the swap cost for a 331 or 347?

5. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

That depends on a lot of things. Would you just buy the stroker short block or would you want a fully assembled long block? Would you just want a basic stroker for the additional cubes or would you go with something with forged internals to better withstand boost/nitrous? It also depends on the company. You could get one built locally or go with a reputable online vendor such as DSS, CHP, etc. Many many things to consider. In general, I've seen them priced from under $2k to well beyond $5k for a long block w/aluminum heads and what not.

6. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

Cheap car to fix,
    You can find stock running motors for those for $600-$800

7. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

to do a 331 or a 347 right, around 8 to 10 grand.

things snowball...trust me.

8. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

Fo Sho!!
    Fo Sho!!!

Foget the 331 or the 347,
    if you don't know your stuff and you don't have da balla budget,
    just get the 351 Crate Engine, Keep It Simple Stupid

9. TroyzRUs

TroyzRUs New Member

You could always rebuild the bottom end, put you a set of aftermarket heads, a mild cam and have pretty quick, reliable car. You could even put a blower on top of that setup and come out wayyy cheaper than 10 grand....and have a car thats more fun to drive and maybe even more reliable than a 347. Just my opinion...

Troyz

10. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

Windsor Jr. Heads, Edelbrock Performers, AFR 165's, or equivalent.
    Motorsport Cam
    Headers,
    Gears,
    Clutch,
    Subframes,
    Wheels,
    Tires,
    TrickFlow Intake,
    Valve Covers,
    Roller Rockers,
    RAdiator,
    Electric Fan,
    Fiberglass Cowl Hood

========Fast ass, solid daily driver. My old roommate daily drove his Mustang, pretty much was what I listed, ran 12.40's @112 at the track. Was fast and fun.

11. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

Sweet, that's almost exactly what I have (well actually I have a few more mods than that, but that's the major stuff). I'm guesing your roommate had a Fox, though. I wouldn't expect to run 12.40's with my SN95 with the stuff you listed above due to the extra weight, though I should be easily in the 12's with traction. I really need some drag radials because first and second gear are pretty worthless for me right now...I just blow the tires off until 3rd gear. :squint:

12. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

190,000 miles is a lot of miles for any car, but if the rest of the car is in nice shape & you can get a really good price for it, I'd pick it up and plan to rebuild the engine. It'd be a good excuse to end up with something brand new with a bit more power than stock. :big grin:

13. Faceless

Faceless New Member

I need more details on the car