GUN .45 ACP vs. 10mm

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Letifo, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

My father has a Beretta 10mm, stainless steel. it's a beautiful weapon, i've shot it and i really like it. I've never shot a .45 though, he doesn't have one. I am curious how they compare in terms of ballistics performance, in terms of recoil, and other things. The Beretta is full size btw, i guess it's a 92 model, but i'm not 100% sure.

also, on the subject, (this is from my other thread) what do you guys think of this gun:
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/springfield_milspec_1911a1.html
    and what do you think of this gun:
    http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/para_0904/
    that para ordnance one is awfully expensive, but it sounds pretty nice. is a full size 1911 too big for CCW?

2. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

10mm Beretta? I thought they only did 9mm (92), and .40 (96).

3. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

yeah, a 10mm beretta would be a first i think

.40SW is the same caliber but a different length round as opposed to 10mm

what are the exact dimensions on 10mm?

4. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

hmm, i thought it was a 10mm, i guess it's possible it's .40S&W though. If so i apologize for my ignorance :eek3:. It's kind of a big gun, vs. the military issue Beretta 9mm (held one when i was in parris island in december)

I guess in that case, amend the thread to compare all 3 of those calibers.

5. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

.45ACP, big slow round, recoil impresive but not too sharp. I like it in the 1911 & the H&K.
    9mm, fast, better penetration, recoil lighter, I like it in the Hi-Power Browning and the Glock 17.
    The .40 S&W is a combination of the 9mm and the .45. Some say the S&W stands for Short & Weak. I like it in the SIG 229, but I prefer the .357SIG.
    The original 10mm is a mighty cartridge, the .40 was developed because the 10mm was just too hard on the men, women & guns shooting it.
    I would start with a 9mm.

6. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

thanks for the links. Looks like the 10mm is the best round out there, and .45ACP is probably second? The only problem with the 10mm seems to be the recoil, which i guess is a personal thing.

7. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

that and the fact that hardly anyone makes guns chambered in 10mm

8. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

10mm harder to find and harder on the wallet ammo wise

9. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

10mm is great round, but is hard to find chambered in guns. They make a MP5/10 that is in 10mm. :o

10. soccaian

soccaian New Member

not to mention both 10mm and .45acp can be a bit hard on the wallet when compared to 40sw and 9mm

11. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Even though I really like 10mm, given the choice between .45 and 10mm for a new shooter I would get the .45.

If you are asking because you are going to buy your first handgun, get a 9mm. It will be much cheaper to feed.

12. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Getting a gun chambered in .45 doesn't automatically mean shitty capacity, the Glock 21 for example, holds 13+1.

13. spartan

spartan Guest

Paraphrasing: If you need more than 6 rds, then you are in a situation requiring a lot more than a handgun.

10mm is, to the best of my understanding from research, an excellent, excellent round. The only problems are:

1. It has a tendency to over penetrate, even with hollow point rounds

2. There are few guns that are manufactured for it, and they all have a large frame.

3. Factory loads are expensive and not nearly as impressive as the actual 10mm capabilities. To get the best performace out of this round, you should reload it. Reloading is a great option, making shooting it cheaper and you can vary your rounds for your gun, but there is the initial added expense of buying reloading equipment and supplies.

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I don't think that is necessarily true. Will you only need 1 round? 2 rounds? 6 rounds? 15 rounds? You won’t know until you need them. With 6 if you have to shoot two attackers three times each you are empty. Empty is not where you want to be if you still have fighting to do.

The rest of what you wrote is accurate. I like 10mm a lot but in my opinion it is a specialty cartridge and other rounds are better suited for defense pistols (9mm, .40 and .45).

15. spartan

spartan Guest

The praphrasing I used is less about how many rounds you have in your magazine and more about reading your situation and having a defensive understanding of yourself and your surroundings.

Having a .45 with 7+1 makes me look at a situation a lot differently than if I have a 9mm with 15+1.

16. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

A great 10mm package for carry would be a 4 inch slide on a commander size frame. To me its a perfectly balanced handgun with great ballistics, I'd love to go all caspian for the frame and slide and ed brown for all the internals. I'd like to see figures around 1200 FPS out of that package with a nice 200 bullet (it would depend on feeding issues, but a quality JHP would be on the top of that list). But I agree with whats been said here generally 10mm>45acp.

17. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

From the chronos I've seen from the GAP, it speed wise seems like a pretty decent round (I'm just not getting into because of the cost of factory ammo).
    Also about the 1911, I love 1911s, and if I can get the size and reliability (I'm sure with the appropriate combo of HP and feed ramp it will be reliable) out of it I'm not too worried about capacity. And I'm too the mentality if I need more than 7 rounds I've got the AR in the trunk. Also I'm just a fan of single stacks, P7s, 1911s, Sig 225s etc.. (All this from someone who carries a G23).

18. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

just my opinion.

19. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

as i'm fond of saying:

no one has ever complained of having too MUCH ammo, unless they're on fire or drowning.

20. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

:werd:

Except a couple of my marine buddies who hated lugging around cases of ammo for their 249s :drool: I'm sure I'd be complaining too until I ran out of ammo shooting BGs

21. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

Did you buy a G19 or G17?

22. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Most people who have a 249 have someone else paying for ammo...

23. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

19. i can't conceal a 17. i think my shirt today was a little short and snug, and one of the ladies at the doctor's office gave me a look that makes me think she saw my pistol printing and figured out what it was. i need more nicer shirts that are looser than t-shirts, but i hate long sleeves, and it's winter, so i'm stuck whith what i've got for a little while.

24. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

What kind of holster are you using?

25. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

what kind of guns do you guys like chambered in 10mm? since some of you said you don't like 1911 styles chambered in 10mm. :dunno: