440lx & ram speeds

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnnywallywallace, Nov 19, 2003.

1. I'm building a dual 333 server out of spare parts, using a gigabyte 440lx board. can I throw pc100 sdram in this 3.3v 168pin 66mhz bus board?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Try looking up the motherboard model on Crucial.com. PC100 is generally backward compatible with 66Mhz boards but there's always exceptions. Also, since its a server board, it might require ECC memory.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

dual sided pc100 will be more compatible with an older lx board because the individual chips are lower density, and sometimes the lx chipset has problems with the higher density single sided dimms, and like mdaniel said, double check to see if it needs ecc.

4. crucial seems to indicate pc100 will work ... I was curious mostly because pc100 seems much cheaper than 66mhz stuff :scratch:

ecc is optional on the board.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Its all supply and demand. Its common for older technology to cost more today than newer, better stuff simply because of economies of scale. They're cranking out DDR by the boatload today so its cheap. The older you get, the more expensive it is as supply dries up. Until eventually it gets so old and outdated that no one wants it anymore and it costs almost nothing if you could find it.