A&P 430EX vs. 580EX

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hurleyint1386, Oct 23, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I'm thinking about my next investment being a better external flash. I'm looking to get into some portrait photography, but I will be doing plenty of other stuff as well. I've read some of the differences around, but I'm trying to determine if I should get the 430 for now, or just go for it and get the 580. I was thinking go with the 580 because then I've got the power, and if I want, I could get another flash as a slave. But then again, I thought I could get the 430, and if I need more power, then I could get the 580, then I can use the 430 as the slave. Any ideas?

2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

photogenic 1000watt or go home

3. hurleyint1386

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

if you can afford it get teh 580

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

a 580 for portraits? are you shooting your subject from like 100 feet away?

I understand the fact that the 580 has the power if you want to use it in a large softbox or bouce into or through an umbrella and can light several people nicely, but if your intention is portrait work, your money you are spending on the 580 can be used toward something that is more powerful and might even have a modeling light, although you may not have the ability to stop is down to 1/128. I am not sure if you are speaking of the 580 1 or 2

6. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

if you are going to shoot portraits, then you will be better off with off camera flashes than on camera flashes.

7. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

580 is a bit overpowered IMO. just picked up 420ex from Ot'er and waiting for it to arrive ... I think the 420ex or the 430 ex would be a better choice for what you are doing.

8. hurleyint1386

I thought that a lot of portrait photographers had multiple 580 EXII's but I could be wrong. If you suggest some kind of model lighting, could you provide a link to something similar to what you mean? Thanks a lot.

9. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Well 580 is a good flash, but it would seem you want it simply for power - and as far as portraits are concerned, you don't need THAT much power. That flash will reach out and paint a scene all right... but your subjects in portraits are rarely more than 4 to 5 feet from you (or less)

10. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I am not trying to steer you wrong. In fact I have been liking portrait stuff although for the time being my wife and children are my subject and I have a single 550EX to use. But I like to know that if I go to a sporting event or some other indoor activity that the flash can go with me. I can not get this flexibility with a dedicated portrait strobe. So where I gain flexibility, I lose in recycle time, modeling lamp and power capability. but I am learning and having fun with it and if I ever choose its not for me, a hot shoe flash is a quick and easy thing to unload provided the strobist leghumping is still running strong. and if I get serious, there is plenty of lights available to me.

I personally would go with a white lightning although alien bees are popular, but lack modeling light.

here is a white lightning that is the same as the 580exii in price when there is no rebate on the 580
    http://www.white-lightning.com/x800.html

and PS - alien bee and white lighting are the same company, just different lines. alien bee is the entry level

11. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

unless you are doing portraits outdoors, then you need to fight the sun.

I personally think that outdoor portraits especially those at dusk or even a bit later kick the balls off an indoor shot with a backdrop. but that is only me

12. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

my alien bee b400 has a modeling light. :o i believe that they all do. the bulb for the modeling light bulb doesn't come with the light, but its just a standard bulb that can be picked up at walmart.

13. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

You'll need some type of wireless trigger, flash stand, umbrella holder, and obviously a strobe/flash.

14. guest

I bought a brand new 580EX II on ebay for $250. Orginally I was going to buy a 430EX II but the 580EX II was only $50 more.

And the 580EX II looks huge on my XSi.:o I'm still learning with flash photography but oh man, what an improvement it is over the built in flash.

15. alexromo

alexromo New Member

get a battery grip