A&P 420ex + 10d

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by OlafBeserka, Jan 15, 2008.

1. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Im trying to shoot in manual with the flash, but it doesnt seem to expose right. When I have the flash attached does the meter on the camera compensate with the flash? When I took a few low light pics and shot in manual the pics came out overexposed and ghosting(if that makes sense). When I shoot in Program they come out right.

Im also not sure how to set the WB, is it better to leave it on AWB? Its getting frustrating.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

how do you shoot in manual with a 420ex? i have one, and there aren't any controls. :dunno:

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

you're getting ghosting because your shutter is set to low, making your flash overcompensate for an underexposed image is probably causing the overexposure.

As far as white balance.... if you're underexposing the entire scene and using your flash as the only light source, set your WB to flash. If you mixing ambient with your flash, set your WB to match the ambient, then gel your flash to match the ambient. If you do not do this (with the exception of sunlight being your ambient) you'll get some wonky WB issues.

go to www.strobist.com and do some reading. Even though it's dedicated to off camera lighting, you can still pick up a lot of basics on flash photography. There are some other sites similar to strobist with great info as well, I just can't think of them off the top of my head, but I think they're mentioned in the FAQ sticky at the top of the page.

4. IntheWorks

I think he's talking about manual on the camera. ;)

5. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

must have been too early in the morning for me

6. ballz

ballz Two of 'em OT Supporter

420 is all auto, there is no manual. I've gotten some decent exposures with mine by itself. I usually use ISO100-800, f/~3.5-8. shutter speed doesn't really matter.

7. OlafBeserka

But then that would mean Im still getting the wrong metering right? It doesnt seem like the camera is compensating for the flash. Or am I just being a total n00b? :ugh::hs:

Thanks for the link, going to read up a bit :o

8. IntheWorks

The camera doesn't compensate for the flash... the flash compensates for the camera. Post a pic of what you're talking about, along with your exif data and we might be able to give you a better answer.

9. OlafBeserka

This one doesnt show ghosting, but more of just the wrong WB. The flash was bounced off the ceiling. I'll try to find a better example, but I think I deleted them all.

ISO 1600
    F/2.8
    1/60
    59mm

[​IMG]

I'll post a better pic of what I am talking about.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008