A&P 40D question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Feb 27, 2009.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Is it normal for the EOS system to underexpose by around 1 to 2 stops in the creative modes? I don't use the auto modes much so I'm not sure how they react (I should probably use them to see :).)

Doesn't seem matter if I used evaluative, center weighted or spot. If I set the shutter and aperture to give a EV of "0" I typically end up with very dark pictures. However if I adjust the shutter/aperture or use exposure comp to push the EV up to 1.5-2 stops over exposed I get a normal looking picture that my old canon S2 IS would give me in automatic.

Is this just part of the learning curve of DSLRs?

2. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I haven't noticed my 40D underexposing but I don't use the auto modes. My exposures using AV and TV are usually spot on unless I'm in really tough light.

3. Zz_3.14_zZ

Zz_3.14_zZ New Member

Not to sound funny, but have you tired viewing the pics on another monitor/computer?

I had something similar issue. It wasn't until I got a new monitor (extended desktop on my laptop) that I noticed just how bad my laptop screen was. And there is really nothing I can do about it.

4. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Check the histograms. That will tell you if the pictures are underexposed or if your monitor is too dark.

5. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Yes I use the histogram exclusively for determining brightness and to expose properly I usually end up +1 to 2 stops. Could be normal and part of the "expose to the right" theory.

I read that using highlight tone priority makes the camera underexpose somewhat to protect highlights. I'll try some more with it off and on and see how things go.

As it stands I have no problem exposing to the right, its just that I'd think it could meter at least as well as a P&S.