A&P 40D + L Lens Weather Sealing

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Bowzyr, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

I know the body and lens are supposed to be weather 'resistant / sealed'... But what do you guys think I can truely expose my setup to, moisture wise, without anything getting fucked up?

Any of you guys shoot with similar rigs in light rain or anything like that ever?

My primary setup is a 40D + 24-70 f/2.8L

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

40d is not weather sealed, dont do it....

3. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

"Canon design engineers made the EOS 40D SLR's magnesium alloy exterior even more ruggedly dependable than its predecessors with upgraded dust and weather resistant construction, particularly around the camera's connection ports, battery compartment and single-slot compact flash memory card door.
    I destroyed a Canon 20D during a pleasurable but unfortunate walk in the rain with the camera while making pictures. Through that traumatic experience I've come to understand the 20D as well as most consumer level digital camera are not water resistant. If you are looking for a digital camera that won't break the bank and allow you to photograph when it is wet, keep this 40D on your radar."

Some searching I did..

Not that i really want to put this to the test! haha.. but would be nice to know what it is capable of taking.

4. turbodude

they say that but it doesnt have a tenth of the weather seals a 1d does. I wouldnt do it.

5. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

dot.

I have a couple of friends that use their 30D's like a 1D. They shoot in the rain/desert/paintball, whatever, and they hold up pretty well. They make sure to clean it well after every use, but the camera is still working.

6. turbodude

i use my cameras like they are supposed to be used. but carrying a 40d in the rain and intentionally shooting in that weather is not there intended use.

7. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

Yah, not planning on hanging out in the rain with it exposed... just trying to get a feel for what it can take, should i ever get caught in some rain or get splashed.

8. turbodude

so whats your question?

this is what i thought it was....
    So i answered it, dont take it into the rain. next question...

9. mojito

mojito New Member

I use to take my d30 and 10d skiing and hiking and shit and never had a problem.

course now with a 1 series I take it swimming in the Caribbean and have it out shile skiing the whole day :o