$4000 to spend on a new car... opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by integraMAHxC, Apr 6, 2005.

1. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

So my G2 Integra shit the bed, and now I got around $4000 to spend on a newer car. The newer car has to be 5-spd. I'm thinkin of getting a G3 integra. But i really want RWD, and/or forced induction. Any ideas for what I should be looking for. I'm not looking for a Camaro or Mustang!

2. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

old miata + turbo. or get more money

3. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

240 and save money to swap or FI

4. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

good luck finding a decent G3 Integra for $4000... maybe a 94 or 95 with a shitload of miles on it. I am looking to buy a G3 Integra as well so I've done some research.

5. LovEyDuBB

LovEyDuBB OT Supporter

1989-1993 240sx ~$500-$1500 (since you're gonna swap out)
    then swap with an engine
    ca18det ~$1,900
    sr20det s13 redtop ~$2,500-$2,700
    sr20det s13 blacktop ~$2,700-$2,900
    sr20det s14 blacktop ~$3,300-$3,500
    rb20det ~<$2,700

old miata w/ 13B turbo?
    or jes turbo the miata engine

older gen. mr2?

6. Miller2000

Miller2000 New Member

What happened to your teg?

7. turbodiamonds95

turbodiamonds95 tapout,chokeout or knockout

but also remember that is just prices for the complete motor swap(motor, tranny, ecu) then you will need other things to make the car run right unless you can find a complete front clip. you'll need things like an intercooler,piping and so on. to do the sr swap right to just make it run somewhat decent you will be spending around 4-5 grand on the swap alone. unless you can do all the stuff yourself

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

My sis got a 96' Cavalier Z24/33K miles for $3000 flat. u just gotta find the right people:) lol. of course it's not integra, but it wasn't a beat up old junker either.

9. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

:ugh: your sister got jacked.

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

how so?

great car, low miles, 3k flat...

people around here want at least 5 grand for their Honda's with over 80K miles on them. and i'm NOT over exxagerating. she got a great deal compared to my friend.

99' Honda Civic DX - 90K miles - payed $6500 for it from dealer. and it's not near as nice as my sister's car, got scratched up body, squeaky doors and what not.

11. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

but uh... its a......Cavalier.......:hsugh:
    how can you compare that with a Honda? 33k for a Cavalier is like 150k for a honda :noes: :x:

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

it's a Z24 Cavalier, faster than alot of stock 96' Honda's. it's got no problems, or any that are important that is. interior is a bit messy, rims a bit scratched. it had new brake pads when she bought it, owner had just reeplaced them about a month b4.

your comparison is terrible. 150K is not comparable to 33K just because of a different model/make. if you'd take a 150K honda over a 33K cavalier, more power to you...but i wouldn't pay more than $500 for a 150K Honda. the engine's probably close to shot, i would imagine it needs some kind of maintenance to brakes/suspension. the car appearance is probably going to very poor unless you buy it and then spend money on getting it painted and interior redone.

i have never personally seen a car with over 100K miles on it that even looked appealing. sure it might be a fine car if you have enough cash to engine swap and the list of other things needed to make it worth driving again. it's bound to have problems, whether they are immediate or show up a bit later doesn't really matter. the lower the mileage, the less of a chance you have of running into problems. same with value of the car, you can get alot more for a 33K cav then a 150K Honda. it might not be a monstrous difference, but for a substitute teacher and a pizza hut employee (my sister) she wouldn't mind a couple hundred more to go shopping with.

13. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Is the Cavalier a 5 speed or automatic? If it's a 5spd, you might as well figure the price of replacing the engine VERY soon if it hasn't been replaced already (probably not, or you would have said 33k with new engine).

2.4L olds engine is FAMOUS for dropping the #3 cylinder. Mine took a shit at 28k. By the time you get replacement parts and rebuild parts, you are better off replacing the engine.

Also, since it's the 2.4L, you can go ahead and figure about $600 to replace the water pump at some point in the future as well. Part is cheap enough, but the dealer or shop will rape you on labor... unless you are brave enough to drop the engine cradle in your own garage and save a few hundred.

Sorry to have jacked the original thread, but I just couldn't let the misinformation about the great Cavalier continue.

OP, If you are a small enough person, i would say miata with some work is a fun car. Of course, I'm 6'4" 280lbs, so a miata isn't a logical choice for me. :)

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

it's an automatic, otherwise my sis couldn't drive it lol.

if her car just up and dies on her, i'll be sure to tell you. but with regular check ups and maintenance...it hasn't had any problems yet.

is this just a "oh look..my car crapped!" kind of thing? or can you tell that something is wrong before it just goes out? i've never had problems in a car besides wrecks...so i wouldn't know.

i still don't see the point of view though about honda and cavalier. i'd still want the cavalier over a 150K driven Honda. SUPPOSEDLY all cavalier's need an engine replacement past 33K miles (or what someone is telling me)...but so would theHonda after 150K miles...not to mention other things that come with 150K miles on a car.

15. Miller2000

Miller2000 New Member

When I sold my first G2 the engine had close to 182K on it, was the original engine, and had compression within specs in all 4 cylinders. Other G2 Tegs at the site g2ic.com have well over 200K and are still being daily driven and modded on top of that. Acura has a club with high mileage owners on the original engine, i can recall on hitting 300K. One of the best things about Hondas is their reliability in high mileage, thats why I could sell my G2 right now with 125K for 2500 bucks in all of its 15 yr old glory, the resale value rocks. What happened with your G2 that made you want to ditch it?

16. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

i have. they're called foreign cars :p . lol, so you know i grew up around gm cars, and i definitely never saw a 100K car from the general that was appealing. but i have seen TONS of european and japanese cars with 100 or 150 in great shape (many toyotas and volvos with well over 200K and in very good complete shape).

anyway </threadjack>

17. imprimo5

imprimo5 Guest

*back to the point of the thread*

4k... rwd... preferably an import so that it will last...

even tho i'm a honda fan, i'd have to agree w/ spiffy_backlog and LovEyDuBB...
    best bang for your buck = 240 w/ swap

18. WVU_Mountaineer

WVU_Mountaineer New Member

MKIII Supra Turbo

19. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

if they were truly owned by foreign peoples living in say Japan or wherever, that might explain why. People over there take care of their property, they can't afford to go and buy a new car every few years like we do.

Where i live though Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's are considered crappy 1st cars (even brand new) so the kids treat them like toys. But that's jsut aroudn where i live.

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

wow...i found a 1995 240SX for $5200.........only has 114 miles one it. Brand new brakes too, leather interior. I'm gonna go check it out, only 17 miles from where i live.

21. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

...and pay what...$600 a month for insurance? lmao no way, not for a 17yr. old (me)

22. vvtisupra

vvtisupra New Member

hahah you guys are a bunch of tools. First thing on your mind is to swap on a 240 HAHAHAH. Oh btw its difficult to swap over an auto 240 to a 5 speed a lot of parts you have to source and stuff. Not worth the time IMO.

Don't get a 500 dollar 240 and drop a sr20. You might not expect it but it will be most of your 4 grand just doing that. A 240 with a KA24de is strong enough. Get suspension slowly build up as your skill increases/ break/ bend parts. ITs going to happen drift or grip its part of the learning experience. sr20 and ca are overrated I showed up a lot of sr's at my first event when i had my vlsd. I have yet to try out my Nismo 2 way

23. hypercardude

hypercardude New Member

24. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

then your insurance is MUCH cheaper than mine. car insurance for me (17yrs old, male first time driver) is $350-400 a month. Motorcycle is going to be ALMOST double of that, so maybe $575-650 a month.

i live in Texas, maybe where you live insurance is much cheaper?