$400 to build computer for parents

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unrealii, Dec 28, 2003.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I'm leaning towards building them a p4 since my amd tbird runs hot as hell (60 C) and I need a supersonic fan to keep it cool. But my friend who keeps up with amd and oc's them told me the newer amds run cooler than the current p4s. Is that true? I would like the computer to be quiet as possible but also affordable and reliable. My parents dont do many hardcore processing stuff, so I'm open to anything. Any suggestions on mobo, cpu, case/ps supply, graphics (if not built in mobo), and ram. If the new mobo is mATX, then I can keep the current case and upgrade the powersupply.

I'm usually against shopping at Fry's for some computer items, but they have a 2.66 ghz p4 and intel 845EPIL mobo for $199. Since it comes iwth an intel mobo instead of the usual ecs crap, I am considering this.

2. MP

MP New Member

I'de get those fully built ones from walmart or frys. I got my parents the $200 one and just installed xp on it. great deal.

you can get a 1.4+ ghz computer w/ speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc for $200 from walmart.

3. MP

MP New Member

4. unrealii

I'd rather build the computer myself with quality parts that I know of. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I've just stopped giving system building advice because no one *really* wants it. They just want someone to agree with what they already have in mind

6. unrealii

so do you agree or disagree? ;)

In all honesty, I am leaning towards the pentium because of heat issues, but I have read that the pentiums run warmer, so I'm looking for some clarification there. I'm also hoping that if any parts that I am considering are crap, I would like to know about it. My parents got hit with the "deathstar" flaw last summer and it wasn't pretty - especially for the entire week I spent trying to recover as much data as possible.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

8. unrealii

Thanks for the link.

9. autox

autox OT Supporter

go with amd shit

10. unrealii

reasons?

11. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Go Intel.

12. pummer

pummer New Member

because it's cheaper, and they don't run hot enough where it'll be an issue any more than an intel would. the newer ones don't even run that hot. what i'd get for them:

(all prices newegg.com and including shipping)
    Shuttle mATX nForce2 IGP Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "MN31N" -RETAIL $86.99
    Apacer 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700 - OEM $72.00
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail $90.00
    Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only $75.00
    Lite On Beige 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S BEIGE, OEM $38.00
    COOLMAX 350W CX-350, SILVER, Taurus CX Series Silent Power Supply $36.99
    for a TOTAL of $398.98

This should be a fairly quiet setup. Now, if you already have the case, i'm assuming you have at least a rear case fan. if you're concerned with the CPU fan's loudness (it shouldn't be too loud), i'd go with this heatsink from Thermaltake. I have it myself cooling my XP2500+, and it cools well even with my overclock to 2800+. I can't trust my shitty MSI mobo's temp sensor, but this significantly reduced my temps from the stock heatsink, and I can't even hear it over my case fans at all.

13. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Do you happen to have a Thunderbird 1400?? I have the same thing. They are the hottest running AMD chip that there ever was! Something like 75w worth of heat!! I'd go with an Athlon XP-based machine for cost and performance value.

14. MP

MP New Member

my amd runs at 31c idle and 48c maxed out thanks to this little guy :)

[​IMG]

anything above 60c is pushin it though.

15. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

ludelover I said w as in watts, not degrees Celsius.