$400 car audio budget

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Damn it Bobby, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

I'm looking to spend ~$400 on a car that I'll probably keep for only 3 more years.

I don't have the time to figure out how to install it myself. My budget will have to include labour. What kind of options do I have? The fronts are 2-way 6.5" and the rears are 6"x9". I don't need thunderous bass or anything too high quality, just some clarity and punch.

Upgrade the headunit (~$100) and do the front 2 speakers only (~$200)?

Upgrade the headunit and do all with worse speakers?

2. notladstyle

notladstyle New Member

The type of car matters a great deal, you can probably save some cash by grabbing a stereo installer off craigslist rather than going to a retail store though.

3. hawtteg

hawtteg New Member

you can do a simple setup for a bit more bass, like 1 10inch with a small amp, maybe a set of fronts for some clearer highs, i personally woulden't do much more than that if you don't plan on keeping the car.

check out audioheaven (in toronto) ask for jeff, he can do the install and make you a system on budget. it's the only place i take my car too to get my alarms done.

Audio Heaven Inc.
    905 763 1686

4. swedishstar

swedishstar Active Member

I know this isn't a forum for sale, but I have car audio that is exactly your specs and I was wanting to get 400 USD for all of it. I've been trying to sell it for a couple weeks now... :\

MB Quart 6.5' coaxias Discus
    MB Quart 6x9 tri's Discus
    4 channel eclipse amp...ea3422
    All original boxes and papers.
    I also have a clarion headunit that is going with it w/ remote. mp3, etc. It will go with an iPOD dock connector that plugs into the radio. Clean, non-distorted signal.

I would upgrade the rears. If the 6x9's are mounted on the rear deck, they will be somewhat punchy.

A subwoofer is always nice, but you're not going to find anything decent for your price range more than likely.
    The front speakers will deliver most of the sound to your ears, but if you're in a sedan or coupe, the 6x9's will play a HUGE role. They will add to the system incredibly. 6.5"s in the door will not have the richness or punch that 6x9's in a deck will... For your budget, I would concentrate on getting speakers that are going to suite your application the best. I would focus the least on the headunit, and get a quality amp and speakers. Get an amp that will drive them cleanly. I would look for used stuff at this price range. Plenty is to be had. What kind of car is this going in?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

This is what I would get for a head unit and speakers.

Head unit: Pioneer p6000ub $220 or Alpine 9884 $200

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6346

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6184

Speakers: Phoenix Gold RSD's $60

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6952

Speaker Amp: Hifonics txi 4008 $95

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6274

quality amp wiring kit from knukonceptz: about $25

So worst case scenario with that, you're looking at about $400 or so. figure another $50 for unforeseen expenses

Now if you up your budget $200-300, you can get some better stuff (better hu, better speakers, better amp, etc) as $400 is very tight to work with. Also, if you lurk on some car audio forums, you can find some good deals on good products (sorry to the guy above me, but things that are better than mb quart)

Also, if you want to get a sub and amp for that, you're probably looking at anotehr $300 to $400 for everything you need, for example a 10" with a decent amp and wiring kit. I would suggest that as well only because thats the best way to experience your car audio. it feels very weird without a sub.

Good luck with what you do! If you're keeping the car for three years, get some quality stuff and also you will be able to swap it over to your next vehicle.

edit: also most importantly, you dont need rear speakers. This way you can save some money and it imo it sounds better as well just having a front stage.

6. swedishstar

If he is not getting a sub, he needs something that will put out a little bass. 6.5's in the front doors are not going to do that. That setup is not balanced whatsoever.

7. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I'd buy his stuff. Sounds like a steal!

8. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

Thanks for the insight....I went ahead for a fairly economical setup that I think works for me in terms of balance, sound, features and price. Shipping wasn't really and option as the exchange rate is high and I'm pressed for time.

$95 Fronts 2 x TS-A1672R http://salestores.com/pionee32.html
    $95 Rear 2 x TS-A1672R
    $90 - Head Unit Sony CDX-GT420 (minimal toys but has iPod connetivity through the faceplate) http://www.wikio.com/product/sony-cdx-gt420-108144.html

Now installation is a different story...I got the headunit installed really quickly at Bestbuy for $25 and they did a good job with it. I'm going to let them do the fronts but I want to take a crack at the rears. Only problem is I need a special L shaped screwdriver or something similar in order to undo the existing speaker which is very close to the glass.

9. swedishstar

He already bought other stuff...not nearly as good :wtc:

10. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Sucks for him.

11. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Ouch. As much as I dont like mb quart, thats still many times better than what he got :wtc:

12. swedishstar

:dunno:

Oh well.

13. D Rock

D Rock New Member

Blah, Sorry but I wouldn't use any one of those things for my system. You should of bought the system posted in here as it would sound about 3x better.

14. swedishstar

:bigthumb: