GUN .40 vs 9mm

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigsnake, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'm just wondering if either round, because of it's design, is more accurate than the other? I know there is the 30-06 vs. .308 discussion and how the .308 is more accurate, wondered if there was a similar difference between these rounds.

Reason I ask is I'm considering selling my XD40 and getting the 5" XD in 9mm. Mainly for reason of longer sight base and cheaper ammo so I can shoot it more. It will not be my carry gun so size doesn't matter

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I own both but have never shot both out of the same style gun, I have a G17 and P99. P99 is my carry gun, my main reason for getting a .40 was I wanted something with a bit more power them 9mm but didnt want my round capacity limited so much with a 1911(yes I know there are other options but when I get a .45 I want a 1911) I dont really notice one doing better groups then the other but like i said two different make guns could be reason too.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Why not just buy the extra barrel for the 9mm and have best of both worlds. Its about $150 for the conversion barrel

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The weak link in how accurate a caliber or firearm can be is almost always the shooter.

5. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

:werd:

also, reports from the real world say the extra inch isn't helping one iota.

fyi_ I have a XD40 4"
    and a XD9 subcompact

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I totally forgot about the conversion barrel when I made this post. It wasn't until like an hour or so ago I remembered it. I'm going to look into it.

So I guess I should go with the caliber I can afford to shoot the most then counting I can get twice as much 9mm for the same price of .40 (CCI Blazer 9mm vs. WWB .40).

I guess the only benefit is the extra inch of sight radius. Guess I'll look into the 9mm conversion. When you do the conversion is it as accurate as the original gun and as reliabe? (this isn't my self defense gun BUT I don't want it to be a Jam-O-Matic just to shoot cheaper ammo).

7. ManinCamo

it'll tend to be more accurate b/c of the higher grade barrel being used. if you want an even more accurate barrel, you can pickup a match barrel, but it usually requires some smith work.

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Thanks. So far I've only seen the conversion barrels on pistol-gear.com's webpage. Anyone else make them?

9. ManinCamo

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'm on there and did a search and the only conversion barrel I hear about is the EFK.

11. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

insert obligatory rust comment here.