4 wheeler crew

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by >DRIVEN<, Jan 14, 2009.

1. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

School me on them. Am looking into getting one to use only to plow snow in the winter. I don't care if it's fast at all. I just want something reliable that can move some snow. Who makes the best? Any certain models I should be looking at? Do they make ones that are ready to go with a plow or will I have to buy a kit separately?

I have no idea how much these will generally run, so I don't really care about price right now. Thanks! :bigthumb:

2. cheesesauce

cheesesauce RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE

if ur gonna be pushing snow you'll want a 4x4 so there are a bunch to choose from. I have a can am outlander 800, tons of power and great bike, honda makes good bikes very reliable but very under powered, yamaha makes good bikes and so do the others. There all good just check out the web sites and see what u like best

make sure u get a least a 500cc bike though

3. cheesesauce

cheesesauce RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE

4. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

You can go with any brand/engine size you want. There's a plow kit for pretty much every atv. Personally, I like the Kawasaki Brute Forces. They seem to have the better cost to power ratio.
    For a plow, I recommend looking at Moose plows. I like my 55". You can get larger or smaller blades depending on your quad and the conditions in which you will be plowing.
    Tires will also be another factor. From what I have read, the factory equipped tires on most quads aren't suited to plowing. You can buy chains, but those will rip up any pavement or concrete. My 26" ITP Mudlite XTR's grab like crazy in the snow. I can push until I get way too much snow in front of me. I burn through 2+ feet of snow easily. (without plow of course)

A diff lock will also be a desirable feature. When the plowing gets tough with my 2008 400 Arctic Cat, engaging the locker helps tremendously. Power doesn't mean much if you don't have the gearing. My 400 has the lowest gearing AC offers and I couldn't imagine ever needing more power while plowing. (though a 1000 AC Thundercat sure would be fun) Traction is the only issue.

[​IMG]

Shop around at your local dealers. Narrow it down to what you like and can afford. Then surf the quad forums and do some research. Make sure it has a winch too. It's a necessity. Synthetic rope is a good upgrade as well. (ebay) The aircraft cables have been known to break with regular plow use. You can also replace the cable with a 10' long 1-2" wide piece of tie down strap. It wears better and is cheap to replace. Only, it isn't great for sucking yourself out if you play during the plowing season. :mamoru: