(4) RE12's good or bad

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by danielkim, Mar 9, 2005.

1. danielkim

danielkim Guest

i ordered 4 RE12's for my tahoe but i dont kno how it will sound
    if anyone has heard these subs first hand feedback would be great :)

i could also use a box design... this will be going into an 04 tahoe

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

what kind of amp set up is running those beasts?

And are they the RE RE?

3. danielkim

danielkim Guest

ima run either an audiobahn 8000T mono or a hifonics BX1000 mono
    it all depends how much money i can get

and yes they r the RE RE's

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I wouldnt suggest an audiobahn amp, the money seems to go more for looks on those piecers.

Not exactly sure how it will sound, I've never heard or seen RE REs in action. But hopefully you will get some good results.

How much did you pay?

5. danielkim

danielkim Guest

i paid 47 for each sub through a group buy so i got all 4 for 188 shipped

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'd go with the HiFonics based on brand alone. It's possible that Audiobahn amp is an exception to their standard, but HiFonics is probably the better bet.

7. 04

04 Guest

How much trunk space are you willing to allocate, and what type of box design are you wanting to do (ported,sealed, etc)? Also, what type of music do you listen to?

8. danielkim

danielkim Guest

trunk space wise im lookin to save some space... and im not too sure if i want it sealed or ported because i want it to hav decent SQ and not just crazy bass.... and i mostly listen to hip hop/rap and some break beats

im also wondering if my choice of 4 RE series 12's over 1 RE SE15 was good :rolleyes:

9. 04

04 Guest

Well if you're trying to save space, you'll probably have to go with a sealed enclosure, as ported will be larger. Do you have the t/s parameters for the woofer by any chance?

10. danielkim

danielkim Guest

[​IMG]
    thats the t/s for the RE12

[​IMG]
    this is the box sizes

11. 04

04 Guest

I would probably do a 4 cubic foot sealed enclosure then. Should sound great, and get super loud too :cool:

12. danielkim

danielkim Guest

I NEED HELP AGAIN.... i need a decent head unit for under $150... i could use opinions or personal experiance on what to buy.... help this music lover out =]

13. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

From me you will receive my standard recommendation of Alpine. Buy the best model you can find on eBay for $150. The other likely recommendation is Pioneer, but I don't think you can buy their premiere line in the $150 range, in which case I would say Alpine is the clear winner.

Cliffs: You won't go wrong with Alpine.

14. danielkim

danielkim Guest

yea i was lookin into alpine and pioneer headunits........ i think ima take ur advice and go with alpine... cuz my frend uses one and its pretty nice =]

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I would also say Pioneer or Alpine, both are very good especially their low cost models.

16. danielkim

danielkim Guest

alrite now i need a sealed box design for the 4 RE12's.... the site says they need 1cubic feet and the box is going into an 04 tahoe.. i would like to save as much trunk space as i
    can but i dont want the sound of my subs to suck help me out here...

17. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I love my Panasonic head unit. Alpine isn't bad, but my HU was a bit cheaper, and does everything I want it to. I guess if i didnt have a 4-channel amp I would probally go with an Alpine unit, but I dunno. Go with what looks good also.... dumb as it sounds, its annoying to have something ungly in your dash.

18. 04

04 Guest

As I said above, since you have 4 subwoofers, and you want 1 cubic feet of airspace for each, so 4 cubic feet total.

You'll have to give the dimensions of the trunk area you are willing to allocate if you need a specific enclosure designed.

19. danielkim

danielkim Guest

ok i ran out real quick and measured my trunk....

its about 4feet wide, 1foot 10inches high and i want the box to be no bigger than 2 feet from the backseat... which leaves me around a lil over a foot of room from the box to the trunk door

20. 04

04 Guest

How about an enclosure that's 48" wide, 16" tall, and 14" deep? After bracing and driver displacement, it should come out close to 4 cubic feet of internal volume.