4-Pin to SATA power reversed?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Nov 19, 2007.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

1. I know there are 4-pin to SATA power adapters readily available, but do they work both ways (ie: SATA to 4-pin)??

2. Also, would there be any negative effects to having a SATA power cable from the PSU going into a 4-pin adapter and then back to SATA??

Reason: The breakout cable for my RAID card has the power built into the cables. It uses 4-pin inputs and then plugs in via SATA, so I would need to convert my SATA from psu power cables to 4-pin then they would convert back to SATA through the breakout cable. ..Or.. I just buy a breakout cable without power and I wouldn't have to worry about it, but thats more money.

EDIT: I got this respose from an engineer friend but it is not a definite no:
    anyone have any input?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm with the engineer on this one.

If I'm getting this right, you would be running the normal 4-wire leads in front of the SATA plug, and on the opposite side as well.

The metal traces work well as a final destination point, but when they are in the middle of a feed, you would be asking for trouble. (The metal traces being the contact lines that you see inside the SATA connector)

Better to cut the approriate ends off and solder and tape together the 4 leads one by one, to make a proper run with the connector that you need.

Just be sure to leave enough wire to work with when you do the cutting.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't think it matters where in the circuit the metal traces are; a choke point is a choke point, no matter if it's the water valve at the side of the house or your thumb at the end of the hose.

4. Doc Brown

In this case it's like going from 16 guage wire to 22 guage wire then back to 16 guage again.

Think about that. If it didn't matter, there would be no reason to use heavy guage wiring at all, since all electronics eventually are sending a hot current across metal traces.

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Basically, the initial question was whether you could use a 4-Pin to SATA power adapter backwards (SATA to 4-Pin). Then it developed into if you could use it backwards then back to SATA again (SATA to 4-Pin then 4-Pin back to SATA).

The metal traces within the SATA connection would be the starting and end point.

6. Doc Brown

Ok, that's sort of the opposite of what I was thinking.

Still starting out on the thin trace and going through wires... it just doesn't sound right.
    The leads are so short though, that I could see where it wouldn't be such a big deal I guess.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That is true, but metal traces can dissipate their heat into whatever they're plugged into. I don't think it will be that much of a problem. SATA drives don't use any less current than IDE drives do, anyway.