GUN 4 Hunters Shot in Minnesota Deer Hunting Opener

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Nov 5, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4 Hunters Shot in Minnesota Deer Hunting Opener

Last Edited: Monday, 05 Nov 2007, 12:26 PM CST
    Created: Monday, 05 Nov 2007, 11:15 AM CST

MyFOX9.com SideBar

At least four hunters were shot and one killed in Minnesota during the opening weekend of the deer season. Local police are investigating all of the shootings and all appear to be accidental.

Craig Rupp, 60, was killed after being shot in the chest Saturday morning in his hometown of Elbow Lake while hunting. Elbow Lake is about 80 miles northwest of Willmar in western Minnesota. Rupp was shot while his hunting party flushed deer out of tall grass. A deer jumped up and shots were fired, with one shot hitting Rupp.

Duane Kaster, 62, of Aurora, Minn. was shot Sunday while hunting near Biwabik on the Iron Range. The St. Louis County Sheriff's office says the man was apparently shot by a 15-year-old member of the hunting party. He was taken to a hospital in Virginia, Minn. and later airlifted to Duluth.Kaster has been transferred to HCMC where he is in critical condition.

Brooks Lee Marti, 26, of New Ulm was shot around noon Sunday in Brown County. Marti and his hunting party were flushing a deer in a wooded area east of Sleepy Eye when he was shot in the left arm by another member of the group. Marti was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

In Clearwater County in northwest Minnesota, Jeffrey Pike of Chaska accidentally shot himself around 1:30 p.m. Saturday when he put his gun down and it fired, striking his right bicep. He was taken to a Fargo, N.D., hospital.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfo...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

2. MTech

MTech New Member

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Makes not want to go out with any hunting groups, usually when I deer hunt its with one other person and alone a few times.

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

After the story I heard this morning about someone mothballing his neighbors' corn pile, I'm wondering if these were accidents after all.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

WTF?? Not one of these guys is named Dick Cheney.

6. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

What does that mean?

7. MTech

MTech New Member

mothballs keep mammals away...

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Not hunter accident perse, but related to it not being an accident. A fried of mine was out putting up his tree stand a few weeks ago when he came back to his truck and heard some noises around it. He snuck up to get a view of the truck and saw a guy beating the crap out of it. Smashed the windows, slashed the tires, tore up the seats. The guy wasn't even stealing anything, just tearing his truck up and waiting for him to come out of the woods.

The kid gets on his cell phone and dials 911 (he was setting it up for archery season and didn't have a gun on him). He ends up talking to the police for about 20 minutes and they never can find him so he called his dad. His dad came out there and as he was pulling up the guy jumped in his truck, pulled a mask over his face and took off. His dad chased him for a bit, but the guy had his plate pinned up so he couldn't get the tag number. Eventually the guy got out to a main road and his dad kept chasing, all the while directing the police where to go. The police kept telling him to back off and not pursue the guy.

His dad listened finally and went back to his son's truck. After about an hour a lady cop finally gets there and immediately walks up and opens the truck door. They both said, "What about fingerprints?" To which she replied, "Oh yeah, oops."

I don't do much bow hunting, but I make sure to always have a loaded firearm on me when I go out there.

Cliffs: Guy is setting up tree stand, exits the woods to find guy tearing up his truck, never catch the guy, cop was an idiot.

9. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Jesus.

10. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Remember that guy in Wisconsin a couple of years ago that went nuts and shot like, 10 people and killed 7-8? (With a hunting rifle out in the field.) Turns out most of them were all in the same family which happens to have been friends with my sister. :hs:

11. Slick26

He was nuts. And also in prison for life now as well.

12. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

These hunting groups seem to just always go bad. These guys are probably the same sort that think wearing the safety orange vests make them less manly.

Hell, when I went with my father hunting we had camo pants on, but new safety orange vests, caps, and gloves. I was a kid and all i could think was "How the hell will a deer NOT see us?" to which my father got a good laugh and explained the whole thing.

I could see my father when he was 150yds away and that was at dusk while he was walking through foliage. These guys had to be doing something stupid.

13. Slick26

I don't believe it had to do with doing something stupid. I just think it all boils down to communication.
    You have to map out and discuss what you are going to be doing as a group, and what is expected of each individual.
    Also, I've noticed over the past few years when this issue comes up, a lot of people are getting shot by younger hunters.
    I'm not saying 15 is too young for hunting, because I started when I was 12, but I'm thinking maybe the younger ones need more guidance.
    Here's what I'm saying. Dad's, you know your kids. Well, you should anyway. And if they aren't ready, you need to take that into consideration.
    If they're not ready, they need to be by you. Or don't take them until they are ready. Otherwise grandpa's gonna get shot.
    Also, when you're a younger lad, hunting with the big boys, you're kinda skittish and excited, and you're eager to show them all that you can hang with them. Then all of a sudden Uncle John is dead.

14. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

flushing out a deer is pretty stupid. it also takes the fun out of it. why would you want to end a hunt quickly so you have to get back home sooner?

15. Slick26

Cuz its fucking cold dude. :hsugh:

16. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

reason #213,295,010,825 i stay off of public lands during rifle season.

17. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

pussy. I'd rather be out freezing with nobody bothering me to do anything than being nagged to do work around the house.

18. Slick26

I was partly joking, partly not. I've been hunting like 10 times in my life, never complained.
    However, when you're hunting in northern Minnesota and its like 15* with a harsh wind, and you're just sitting there all day... yeah, its bad.

19. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

wind is fucking brutal. I worked outside a little bit in the late fall/ early winter and had the problem of not being able to feel my feet, pain in my toenails, and having extreme pain in my hands when I had to use my fingers. Not to mention constant shivering. that was after about two hours of being outside and hardly moving around. I didn't layer myself to well as I had to go through an entire day of classes before going to work, so it probably would have been better if I would have worn more on the lower half of my body.