4 banger mustang to 302?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tobagator, Jul 30, 2004.

1. tobagator

tobagator But see drugs and plastic thugs, ain't gon change

I know someone who wants a v8 in his 89 mustang was wondering if people here could give me a price guideline on how much it would run for all different engine types like 351W and 302's maybe even 350's...

2. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

That depends on about 10 million variables. Your best bet would be to buy a wrecked donor car and pull the engine and EFI out of it. That should be relatively inexpensive and the least amount of work (unless you don't have to worry about emissions and can just throw in a carbed 302).

3. tobagator

so its cheaper than just buying an already built engine?

4. tobagator

any good sites to find doner cars...i don't know much about fords = \ cept that i used to have a 302 mark 7

5. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

http://www.corral.net/main.html

;)

6. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

You put a 350 in that thing I will kill you.

7. tobagator

well i know the 351 windsor motors can be more costly than picking up an old 350. but maybe i will just go rotary;)

8. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

How long till he finds out that the 350 is a Chevy motor?? :ugh:

9. jonny_ringo74

jonny_ringo74 New Member

Save your dough and just buy a V8 car

10. austynn2001

austynn2001 Guest

/yourself

11. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

i hope your friend has alot of time and money to spend on this then. its not going to be all that easy to convert from a 4 cylinder to an 8.

your going to need a new engine.. obviously the v8. they can be found used for a few hundred dollars.. to $8,000. it all depends on what your looking for. the base 302's with like 280HP are going to be the cheapest. but if your gonna go bigger.. might as well get the 351 cleveland or windsor. preferably the windsor because theres a bigger market for them. then theres the performance built motors that you can buy from places online ( www.enginefactory.com ) is one. they sell both chevy and ford. and im sure there are alot of other places to buy stock rated engines. like for example.. from Ford themselves.

then your going to need a new transmission. im almost 99.9999% sure the one in the car now isnt built to handle the HP/TQ of a V8. and again.. those can be bought new or used off of ebay or perhaps classifieds. the Tremec is your best bet. brand new they arent too expensive.

then your gonna need a new driveshaft. its going to be a different length then the one youve got now.

then comes the rear end. youll snap it like a twig. ford 9" is a damn nice rear end with a HUGE aftermarket for them.. as is the 8.8. these can be found in tons of places. theres enough in this world that people tend to have a few laying around.. and can be had for pretty cheap.

and lastly comes the front suspension. that v8's gonna weigh a considerable amount more then the little inline 4. however.. im not sure how that models (generations) front is setup. but your more then likely going to want to beef it up. IE springs, shocks, rotors (bigger) and calipers. your also going to have to buy new wheels. more then likely.. your going to have the 4 lug pattern. with the components for the v8 in place.. front and rear... your gonna have the 5 lug. like i said.. theres alot of things that need to be dealt with.

also.. with that bigger engine.. your gonna need better cooling. so that means a bigger radiator and fans. might as well go electric while your gettng new ones. and free up some engine stress. and get a few more HP.

im not sure if anything else will need to be modified.. like your steering setup and/or gearbox.

like suggested before.. it would probably be alot easier to either just go and buy a shell that had a V8 in it previously. like one with out the engine and tranny. that would save you alot of time and effort. and then you can just go with whatever engine combo/size you want.. with dealing with an old one already in the car.. and selling/getting rid of it. but thats up to you.

OR the donor car suggestion. if you do that.. your going to want one with the engine and ECU still intact. But thats only neccessary if your going wiht EFI. aftermarket systems CAN be bought.. but can become very pricey.. and not always reliable. no sense in buying extra parts when you can get everything in one shot from the donor car. If you go with carb'd setup.. your obviously not going to need an ECU.. seeing as how you dont need the fuel maps/management for the system. Which is what i prefer. the less wiring needed.. the better. They call it "Fuel InFection" for a reason

good luck with the swap :)

12. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

base 302's come with 225, not 280

13. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

i stand corrected.

14. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

15. KGB

KGB Guest

Nice stab in teh dark :rofl:

Get a donor car, and if you are only getting an engine dont forget to get the fuel rails also... its not really that hard, might take you some time, but you will learn a lot... suspension - some people actually leave 4 banger setup for squatting... and there is no correlation between 4/5 lug and 4/V8... 302 should do just fine, and if you wanna upgrade later to 351 most parts will swap no problem. Good Luck.

16. Cranky

Cranky New Member

You can get the v8 harness anywhere for like 40 bucks. The 4 cylinder t5 wont hold so replace it or get an aod. if you go automatic dont forget kick down linkage or get a c4 (cheap and strong). you can keep the 4 cylinder springs, most people prefer them for handling. you'll need an 8.8 rear end (dime adozen) and you can pick one up from a mark 7 with disk rear. your front disks will be fine. drum or disk in the rear is ok.

if you wanna go carbed it would be cheaper. ditch the eec harness and ecu, swap fuel pumps and buy a carb and manifold. either way is cheap. the wiring is strait foward. you have to wire the ignition and tach. all your 351/302 parts will swap over accept the balancer and flywheel. a 302 is balanced to 50oz where a 351 is 28oz.

351 will need a sumped pan for a fox chassis and a conversion headers. you can get an older 351 for cheap and run flat tappet cam or convert to hydrolic roller one of two ways. conversion lifters (about $350) or machine the lifter valley to hold a spider clamp and use a small base circle cam.

you can get running with a 302 or 351 for about 2 grand, including your drive train parts. google would have answered all of this for you. forums are great places to find deals.

you need and ecu. the eec harness plugs right in with the existing chassis harness.

17. Cranky

Cranky New Member

i missedup part of my post, im typing way to fast and not paying much attention, hope it makes some sense.

18. <Mark>

<Mark> A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut wit

you are all forgetting one thing. The instrument cluster. The 4cyl one only goes up to 85mph, so you will have to get a new one. Im not sure if it will work anyway...its best to get a new one or use autometer stuff.

19. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

the 85 mph cluster will work. The '89's changed midway through production to the 140 mph cluster on the LX 5.0's and GTs.

20. Fat_Nate

Fat_Nate Guest

350's you mean 351 350 is a chevy engine