4:3 format on 16:9 display = ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JazzHound, Apr 26, 2003.

1. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a wide screen tv and wondered how regular television program and sports events looked in that ratio. Will I see a stretched image or get letter boxes ?

No particular model in mind, but I was looking at a Panasonic Projection WS, 47".

2. C32

C32 *The M3 Executioner*

We have a bought an RCA recently that was last year's top of the line model. It's a widescreen and on top of the issue of having a shitty, grainy picture when we installed it, it now appears that you can't watch regular TV in a 4:3 format. Maybe this is to prevent black bars from being burned into the side of the screen, but it gets annoying nonetheless.

I suggest you play around with the tv in the store and maybe bring your own dvd to watch on it or something.

3. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Sometime after posting here, I did some research beyond asking people in forums and found out most models have a way to compress the image to fit 16:9 ratio, but the end result of that is people looking like they've gained some weight and generally looking unrealistic and disproportionate.

I think 4:3 is the better-all-around solution for me.

4. Kookoo

Kookoo Active Member

my sony gives you the option to view normally (with grey bars on the side), stretch, zoom, and wide zoom:

strech, pulls the 4:3 to 16:9

zoom crops the 4:3 to 16:9

widezoom crops a little and compresses the top and bottom so you still get the image (squished at the top and bottom, but the middle, the image is 1:1 ratio. hope i helped.

5. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

on the panny you're going to have a few options.
    full - stretches the image evenly across the screen.
    Zoom - zooms the image to fill the screen, cuts off around the edges.
    Just - streches to fill screen, applies correction to the center of the screen to make the picture appear less distorted.
    And also standard 4:3 with grey bars on the sides.

6. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

You best bet is to set it so that when you get a 4:3 picture the TV adds gray bars to the left and the right of the picture (think of it as a reverse letterbox). This solution is much better than stretching out the picture. I really don't see the point in buying a high-end 4:3 TV at this point, it's just not going to be useful for long enough to justify the purchase price.

7. DNMonty

DNMonty New Member

Just think of the possibilities though. I have a Toshiba 57H82 and when watching a 4:3 broadcast of regular TV, everyone just looks a little chunky. So your SO won't bitch about how big her ass is all the time after seeing Courtney Cox or Jennifer Aniston on Friends in stretched WS mode. :wavey:

8. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

9. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I have the mistsu as well, but by now, I"m used to people looking fat, so it doesn't bother me any more.

I think with sony models, it doesn't scan the side bars, so that while watching like that, you are not doing any harm to the television.

10. orie

orie social assassin

I have the mistsu 65" as well. I was wondering when I watch widescreen dvd's, the picture does not fill the entire screen? It does this on standard setting as well as stretched. There are 2 small bars across the top and bottom. When i switch to expand or zoom it fills the entire screen however the picture looks distorted and cut off. The manual says to avoid having those bars across the top and bottom, but the other settings look so shitty. What do I do?

11. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

Not very many movies were filmed in a 16:9 ratio. Look for dvd that say 16x9, anamorphic widescreen, enhanced for widescreen TVs. These should fill up the whole screen. With a big ass 65" tv those 2" black bars the top and bottom should not be that big of a deal.

12. orie

orie social assassin

i don't care about the midget black bars, but the manual says it can cause perm damage to the tv. :dunno:

13. Phil02E46

Phil02E46 mystash.org

I have had a toshiba for over a year, and really can't tell the difference anymore. Picture looks pretty normal, toshiba has 4 options for the screen, so you can basically get the tv to what ever view you want.

if you are looking at a 4:3 vs 16:9 i would say 16:9 since movies will look 10x's better

14. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

There saying in the extreme case where you are constantly watching movies with the black bars over and over, in time it will burn in. Some movies are in 1.95:1 and some are in 2.35:1 which is the most common.

15. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Black shouldn't burn in.

If you were using an LCD-based projector or RPTV, I could see some LCD panel damage occuring as the LCD is then acting as a shade to block out the light from the bulb. But your standard CRT gear is off or nearly off when it's projecting black.

16. CarGoBOOM

CarGoBOOM Active Member

thats why I have a widescreen display and a 4:3 display :fawk: