3rd party router firmware?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Dec 17, 2009.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I have a Linksys WRT54G2 router. Was curious if anyone knows if a 3rd party firmware can be flashed to this router? If so, what are my choices and what is best?
    Thanks.

BTW I have 2 routers in my network. One is in a network closet and the other is centrally located in my house (that's the wireless one I use). The one in the closet is wireless but is currently disabled. I am going to switch them out tomorrow and flash firmware. It's been years since I had this set up with the help of someone so I don't know if the wireless one was set up as an access point or bridge or whatever. Any good guide on how to set this up again after I flash them?

Thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

DDWRT? There should be plenty of guides on http://www.dd-wrt.com/

I have a WRT54G setup as a wireless bridge and I'm happy with it.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I've heard of DDWRT but also of at least one other (tomato??). Just looking at my options.

I looked a the link you gave but don't know which revision of the router I have. Gonna check later when I get home.

Can you (or someone) give me a simple explanation of what would be best to configure the 2nd wireless router as? Bridge, Access point, something else????

What I am going to do is place the older Linksys wireless router in my networking closet. It will feed all the drops throughout my house (bedrooms, etc.). It will then be wired (Or it can be wireless, not sure what is best) to my newer WRT54G2 in the center of my house. That wireless router will be used for my tivo's wireless adapter as well as laptops. It will also be wired to my Blu Ray player and TV.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You could setup the 2nd one as a wireless bridge. It would save you from having to run a network cable to that location.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks but the cable is already there. It's a long story but I already have had this all set up but I need to switch the routers out (put the newer one that's in the closet into the living room and put the older one that's in the l.room into the closet). In the mean time I want to reset both routers and update their firmware also going to do a few other things.
    Basically I am just starting over from scratch but it's been in place for over 5 yrs except for the fact I had to switch out the closet router a few months back because the old one got zapped by lightning.

So, I just want to set it up whatever way is best for my description above. I don't care if it's a bridge, AP, or whatever else. That's what I need help on. :wavey:

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

IMO, I see no real need to use DDWRT or another 3rd party firmware unless it has something the stock Linksys firmware doesn't have or if you want something new to play with. ;)

You wont need a bridge since you have a network cable available for the 2nd router.

I understand what you are asking, but it depends on what you want to do.