MIL 3rd Infantry’s 1st BCT homeland tours start Oct. 1

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nerfball, Sep 24, 2008.

1. nerfball

nerfball New Member

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/09/army_homeland_090708w/

this is an interesting development. this has never been done before in the countries history.
    with the army stretched thin, by its own admission, with operations in iraq and elsewhere, why are they reassigning a whole brigade + to domestic duties?

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I guess they feel those soldiers need the continued training:dunno:

3. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

This is nothing new...and it's not interesting. That's nothing more than the damned' PAO of the brigade puffing out his chest and over emphasising his and his BDE's job.

A lot of fallacies and factual un-truths in that damned article. 2-10 BCT is the GRF. They're the CCMRF - they only respond to Chemical events. We have the HLD and GRF missions.

And why isn't it new? Don't you remember the old 82nd DRB mission? This is just that, renamed to free up 82d units for deployment missions and to rotate this around the Army.

4. In english please haha.

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I saw some moron make a thread about it in another sub-forum calling it "martial Law"

:ugh:

:slap:

6. MrRyan

We've always had a BDE on 18hr recall. It was the Division Ready Bde in the 82nd. (DRB) - Now we're just rotating it around the Army. After 2-10 BCT it will rotate back to the 82nd for the next two rotations.

We're still a little annoyed at this 3rd ID unit hyping up their non-existant mission and trying to mission creep into our AO.

7. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I saw a vid on youtube about martial law on the 5th page of the most viewed vids of yesterday. Today, it's on the first page. I checked it out. I'm sure this is making people think....

I wonder what has caused the public to view this situation as a potential for Marshal Law.

8. MrRyan

link it here for when I get home this evening

9. Parris04

Parris04 New Member

The Army has deployed on US soil countless times. US Marines were actived to deply the bourder when whites, pushed into fear by converstaves, thought that Mexcians were envading America.

As for what it means....let me try to explain what it "IS"

The National Guard in particular and the entire Reserve component specifically have gone from a strategic reserve to a strategic active force. The problem with this is, should a homeland military force be needed, those troops may be assigned to overseas duties. Currently there are over 295 missions that American Active Duty, Guard and Reserve soldiers participate in.

What this does it is leaves the country as a whole exposed and without a quick reaction force dedicated to securing the country as a whole. Something could happen in LA (which it did) and if those troops are deploy (which they where). How can we move a force into an area quicly.

Commanders need to be called in, troops need to be activated, inter-state agreements need to be signed...all that takes time. I was deployed for the inaguration of Presiden Bus's second term. I sat in a helocpoyter of the state lines in MD waiting for DC to give the head nod before we could deploy National Guard Sniper teams.

Having an active duty unit that is ready to deploy with 24 hours of an event is an idea that is long over due. This change in assignment of the 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team to JF NorthCom will not violate The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.

Hope this helps

10. EYOB

EYOB Guest

It's no longer on the 5 pages of most viewed vids:

[y]jYxTzDFofZQ[/y]

11. The Mhmm

The Mhmm New Member

10th Mountain 2nd BCT rep GRF

12. MrRyan

see you at JRTC...