3m Scratch remover

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jdhommert, Oct 17, 2008.

1. jdhommert

jdhommert OT Supporter

Is this stuff any good? I have a bottle i got sitting around, wonder if its worth a shot, or if i should just get megs yellow swirl remover. Probably doing by hand unless i can borrow my buddys PC/DA/we he has. Its on an electron blue metallic corvette, with a shitload of fine hair scratches you can see when your upclose. I've also got some scratch X too.

after i do that, then clay it, i'll be looking for some sort of sealant i can throw on that lasts a long time. I've used zaino before, and loved its durability, etc. If there is somthing that works better, i might give it a shot too.:)

And yes I tried searching. :)

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

are you sure that you're not seeing cracks in the fiberglass instead of scratches?

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You aren't getting swirls out of a Corvette by hand and by DA it is going to take a long time and a pretty aggressive polish. I'd look for a product with some filling properties like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, top with a wax and call it a day.

4. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I agree with Scott totally.
    That's one of the hardest clear coats on the planet sir. I've spent all day on one with the PC. Just fill the imperfections until you can get a machine or have some do it for you.

5. jdhommert

jdhommert OT Supporter

So since I'm looking for a long lasting sealant, somthing similar to Zaino, would a Z5 do a good job of filling the scratches, etc?

I've been reading the stickys and such, and looked at Werkstat and such, but Im sort of lazy, but at the same time i want to get good stuff. I can get my hands on lots of products, i work at an auto parts store, so i can get my hands on anything meguirs, prolly 3m too, etc etc etc.

Could I put any kind of sealant on top of the 3m stuff Scott suggested ?

The only stuff i've used that wasn't an off the shelf product was Zaino, now, i really was happy with its durability, shine, and water beading/protection, and I'm familiar with the product, however I'm not afraid to try anything else if it will last as long/longer, or is just a better product in general. I was reading some stickies, and searching, and i was looking at werkstat too.

6. jdhommert

jdhommert OT Supporter

anybody?