3kgt Vr4?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Fantik, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Fantik

Fantik Guest

At the end of this summer I'll have enough cash stowed away to put down a payment on a car that's worth approx 10-12.5k

I'm looking at a 92-95 Mitsubishi 3000GT Vr4. Thoughts?

also, Other than the twin turbo, what is the difference between the GT and the GT Vr4?

2. bigsteve7

bigsteve7 OT Supporter

AWD. Get the VR4. Youre talking low 14/high 13 seconds vs 15/16 second ets.

The VR4 is a good car, the only downsides are weight and sophistication. I've read about them not being the most reliable things and if they break it supposedly cost an assload to fix them.

They aer however kind of rare and have good resale value. Hope you enjoy your purchase.

3. Fantik

Fantik Guest

do the non Vr4 have AWSteering?

4. bigsteve7

bigsteve7 OT Supporter

I dont think so.

5. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

AWS doesnt work well at all on the vr-4. One guy had his vr4 on a lift and AWS didnt move noticeably. Its supost to move 17(?) degrees only. So thats 8.5 degrees either left or right which isn't much. Doesnt come on the SL or base model either. Steve the weight isn't a big deal. 200LBs over a supra which doesnt have active aero or AWD is crap. You guys say its fat well hell yea its fat compared to a civic. But these cars aren't 'heavy'. They have luxury features that weight a lot more than 200lbs. With a few mods(under $1.5k) you get low 13s and 12s are just as easy. These cars are 10+ years old. They aren't going to be civics because they were made to go fast and are sport/Grand Touring cars. Expensive to fix but isn't also a lexus? If you want to get a deal you can get a stealth which is same as the 3000gt for usually a grand or so less. Visit www.3si.com for more info!

6. Fantik

Fantik Guest

is the R/T the same as the Vr4?

what are the actual differences?

7. turbodiamonds95

turbodiamonds95 tapout,chokeout or knockout

the RT's are actually the same as the SL 3kgt's.non turbo fwds.if u get the stealth make sure its the RT TT(twin turbo).u can tell just by looking at the car if its a TT or not.has bigger wheels,dual exhaust and the bumper has "slits" if u will for the intercoolers

8. mr20turbo

mr20turbo Guest

the 3kgt is a whale of a car....nearly 3500lbs a believe. if you are looking to mod it make sure you have some deep pockets. it is going to take quite a bit of money to get that car down the track.

they are a beautiful car though (my first car was a dodge stealth) just to much money to make competitivly fast

9. slutface

slutface Guest

get a 300zx TT instead.

10. turbodiamonds95

turbodiamonds95 tapout,chokeout or knockout

ummm...u are aware that there are people running 11's on the stock turbos?

11. Brujo

Brujo New Member

check out www.3si.org (3000gt/ Stealth international)...most of the members are at the national gathering this weekend, so you may not get alot of replies today...but ask around there...

A vr4 is really heavy, but its a beautiful car, and can actually go prett fast for little $....

stock turbos are weak, but are easily upgraded....

that platform is really starting to move now (finally)

12. mr20turbo

mr20turbo Guest

give me a link

13. Mister91RT/TT

Mister91RT/TT professional lurker

I can't find a specific link, but the fastest time on stock turbos that is universally accepted is 11.91 @ 114 or 115, i can't remember the trap.
    there's a sort of confirmed [email protected], and a couple others in high 11's. It seems that the functional limit for most people on stock turbos is 12.3-12.4.
    what's nice is that affordable turbo upgrades are readily available.

oh and the turbos weigh in at ~3700 pounds, some a bit higher or lower depending on the year. Frankly, take a look at at what you want in a car. this is a quick, luxurious, upgradable car, with a LOT of technology...this is a gadget-filled car, especially for the time. I love mine, and it is problem free at 120K miles.

also, I've put less than $500 in performance mods into my 91 RT/TT, though i haven't dragged it yet. some of the better drivers with the same level of mods as myself are at the 12.5 - 12.6 range.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you do all service/repair/mods yourself, because mitsu/dodge delears are notoriously overcharging, and tend to not know what they are doing with these cars. I'm learning as I go . . .

14. snipes

snipes Guest

don't think the non vr4s have all wheel steer

15. mr20turbo

mr20turbo Guest

my first car was a stealth, it was a nice car, but ran out of performance for what i was looking for. i went to the totally oposite side of the spectrum and purchased my 93 turbo mr2. from going from a large car to a small one i will never see past the size of the car. i still think the 3si's have the most appealing dash i have ever seen

16. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I would highly suggest this car aswell. the 3000 is a great car too, but if any negatives the people are mentioning worry you, the 300Zx TT is another great, and better IMO, car.