3g iPod not charging with usb 2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jordan04, Oct 10, 2005.

1. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

When I plug it in via firewire it charges but won't sync or show the do not disconnect sign. When I plug it in via USB 2 it will sync but not charge. And it seems that when I plug it in with the USB 2 the battery drains like 10 x faster than normal. I have the latest ipod software, sp 2, and the latest itunes. This didn't happen until Apple sent me a replacement when my first one broke. WHATS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

call apple? is it mounting on the desktop? Plug it in with usb. Open iTunes, and clikc on the iPod symbol. Click on the little iPod tab at the bottom, and try it with "manually update iPod" checked. That should mount it to the desktop. Plug it in Via firewire, and tell me if it works.

I also had the same problem. But, mine wasnt showing up on either. I shut down the computer, and when i turned it back on, pluged in the iPod, and it worked.

3. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 New Member

3G iPods can't be charged via USB. Only firewire or the power adapter. I have one too. Sucks.

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

but he should be able to sync via firewire, which isnt working.

5. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 New Member

Yes, he should.

6. jordan04

I already have it set to manually update but I'm using Windows so it dowesn't mount to the desktop. It still doesn't work even if I restart. I called apple and all he said was that It's not supposed to charge with firewire. He told me the only problem that would cause it to not sync would be is a faulty firewire. He ordered me another and it still doesn't work. Even though it won''t charge with USB 2.0 I wish it would stop draining the battery. I also sent it in to Apple to have the battery tested and they found nothing wrong with it. :wtc:

7. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 New Member

The 6-pin FW can charge the ipod but 4-pin FW can't.

You should get this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006FNPZG/002-0148420-0620029?v=glance&n=172282&v=glance

It's a USB and firewire cable built into one. What you do is take the FW connector and plug it into the ipod power adapter and charge it that way. The USB connector can then go into your computer for sync'ing. I have this cable for one of my computers that doesn't have a FW card.

You should also try plugging something else that uses FW into your FW card (like a camcorder) and see if that works. It may be your FW card that's messed up.

8. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 New Member

9. jordan04

Thanks a bunch, that's a really good idea! I'm definately going to do that. No it's definately not the firewire card, I've plugged other things in.