3D Rendering Hardware

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chiuey98, Jul 28, 2004.

1. chiuey98

chiuey98 OT Resident Bangkokian

Ok fellow OTers, I'm in the process of finding information on parts to build my new computer with. I'm looking to spend between 1000-1500 for the Motherboard, CPU and Graphics card.

I'd mainly be using this computer for my 3D rendering stuff for my job. I'm in architectural design, using mostly AutoCAD and Max. It's been suggested to me I should get dual P4, 2.8GHz 533FSB with apporpriate Motherboard, and 3Dlabs Wildcat VP880 Pro.

It's my first comp in 5 years, so I need a lot of input on suitable gear that's within my price range. If any of you can help, I'd be very greatful!

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

In general, those VP Wildcats aren't great...they get tooled at damn near everything by even previous generation quadro's and firegls. The best card for your money ATM is a QuadroFX 1100...nearly as quick as the 2000 and 3000 and a lot cheeper (Though still pricey). Maximum bang for your buck would be a Radeon 9800 Pro (Less than $200 these days) and Free FireGL Software-modded drivers which will give you INSANE AutoCAD and max performance for next to nothing...but you *might* have to tweak it a bit for proper visual quality and such.

Your best bet for a reasonably priced dual platform is an Intel 875 chipset-based Xeon setup (there is no such thing as dual P4's...just P4-based Xeons... :) ) w/533MHz FSB..probably in the 2.4-2.8 range. Check around.

AMD's Opterons are beating out the Xeons at a few things (though Intel's recent 800MHz FSB Xeons (probably out of your price range) took back most of the workstation tasks to the Intel Camp (Opterons still crush Xeons for server tasks). Whichever way you go, DO NOT SKIMP ON RAM. at LEAST 1GB...I run 1GB and tear through it + another couple GB of pagefile daily...need more BAD.

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend you price in, from the beginning, a reasonably sized UPS...battery backup. Mine have saved my ass many a time. If you can't afford the big, high runtime ones, at LEAST get a 500-750VA unit so you can survive brownouts and minor power issues. You'll thank me the first time it saves your butt :)

Something else to keep in mind: Rendering is, with very few exceptions, purely CPU (noted your thread's title as 'rendering')....if the box was actually going to be used as render node only, I'd say all the CPU and RAM you can throw at it...crappiest video card applicable ;)

EDIT: Whoring pics of my Dual Xeon here: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1207306

perhaps it will lend some credibility to my reco's :wiggle:

I do a lot of After Effects & Combustion compositing/motion graphics work, a little lightwave and a little maya...in addition to various, less intensive design tasks.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  3. chiuey98

chiuey98 OT Resident Bangkokian

thanks man, I think that will help A LOT!