3D Rendering and Animation - Which Program?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

I am looking to get into 3D rendering and animation and was wondering which program to use. From what I hear, you pretty much stick with the first program to use, as they all utilise different GUI's and switching is only a hassel.

I have basic knowlege of Bryce, but it's really only for landscapes, and animation is limited.

I am looking to one day make a sequence much like the ATi toyshop sequence, or the one where Ruby kills that cyborg vixen.

I hear the top dogs are:

3D Studio Max
    Lightwave 3D
    Cinema 4D
    Maya

So yeah, what are the programs that companies like Pixar use? Leave your suggestions and reasons here.

Thanks.

2. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

3. MrMan

MrMan New Member

4. radhaz

radhaz New Member

maybe toss this question out at the 3d modellers over on the polycount.com forums?

5. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

3d studio max has a free 30 day trial of the full program. Gmax is a free, lighter level educational version of 3d studio max, but i believe they no longer update it.
    Maya has a personal learning edition as well, you can give that a shot.
    Softimage XSI has a version that can be used to make HL2 mods, so i'm sure they have another free trial or something floating around.
    If you want to go the legit and free route, blender is open source and has lots of tutorials floating around.

6. StainMeNow

StainMeNow New Member