3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard....eh?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dorn, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Dorn

Dorn New Member

I've been looking on IBuyPower.com lately for a computer as they seem to pretty good. When it comes to sound cards, there's this option, then there's actual sound cards, which run $70 more and up.

For now, I'm only going to be wanting a two speaker system with a subwoofer to it. The one they have listed on their site is a 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System. Would the onboard sound be fine with a speaker setup like this? What if I wanted to go with a speaker setup such as these Cyber Acoustics, would the onboard sound still suffice?

EDIT: Thought I might add that the majority of my sounds are going to be MP3s. I rarely, if ever play any games. And when I am playing games, it's just the useless internet Shockwave games.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  2. niteshdaga

niteshdaga New Member

If you are going to add 600W speakers then i mean u might as well as buy the sound card. I mean usually there is no need for a sound card but if u buy some really expensive speakers u might as well go for the decent to nice sound card.

3. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

don't bother with those speakers, they're garbage. basically any speakers that advertise a large amount of wattage for super cheap prices is something you try and avoid.

the onboard sound will be fine for playing mp3s, save your money for a set of decent speakers instead, they'll make the biggest difference.

4. Dorn

Dorn New Member

I figured for the time being I would go with those speakers, but I would upgrade at a later time. They're only a $7 addition, and they would be speakers for the time being.

More than likely, I'll never upgrade to a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup for my system, so I just wanted to make sure the onboard sound would be fine for the 2.1 setup.

5. niteshdaga

niteshdaga New Member

Hahaha a $7 addition okay...my bad... then those speakers are gonna be trash and u will not need a sound card for those at all. Sound card is only needed when u have a lot of cash to blow and some really really nice speakers.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

PMPO = Peak Momentary Power Output. Something that does around 1W RMS can have a PMPO of 500W... so PMPO is NOT a good indication to go on.

Overally, I have not heard a good onboard sound solution -- and that includes Intel's ICH7 and nVidia's SoundStorm. You simply will not beat a PCI card. Feedback on the mobo is horrendeous because of the high density of the PCB -- and all the good trace routes go to vital functions... Sound is always going to be second-rate.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I disagree with you. I'd take my Soundstorm over any Creative POS card. I dont see any other soundcards that can encode AC-3 over S/PDIF.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SB Extigy, SB Audigy Platinum.

And there are other brands besides Creative -- although creative is the most prevelant.

And I talk in terms of sound quality, which is severely compromised -- especially on the SoundStorm.

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I can tell you the sound quality is worse on an audigy 2 board. On the audigy they oversample the audio, which is a no no. the more the sound is tampered with, the more distortion. the only soundcard on the market i'd take over soundstorm is M-Audio Revolution.