MIL 3C2X1-questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by armond, Jul 22, 2008.

1. armond

armond New Member

Anyone in the Air Force here have any knowledge of that AFSC? I looked it up on About.com, and it gave some cool info. But I want to know if anyone has any real life info, especially those who work with them or are actually part of that job.

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I'm a 3C2, what do you want to know?

3. armond

armond New Member

1. Do you like your job?
    2. Where have you been stationed so far and your opinions on those places.
    3. How was Tech School? Length of time, about.com says 80 days, is that correct? Ease of training(just mostly curious)?
    4. How was Keesler AFB?

4. Jyokker

I love my job.

I have been stationed at Keesler AFB for the majority of my career. I am currently at a 3C2 special duty assignment in Las Cruces NM.

Tech School can be difficult, mainly because of the sheer amount of information being fire-hosed at you. For instance: imagine learning binary code, octal code, and hexadecimal code in one week, then the next week doing addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication with all three, with decimal thrown in for fun. (11101011 + 113'octal' / 1F = ??????) Answer is 10 decimal. All without calculators. Things may have changed, but that is what I went through.

Techschool is 4 months long. The four months are broken into eight 2 week blocks. Each block is supposed to build on the previous block. For example, they are not going to teach you routers and switches until you know what a computer, mouse, and keyboard are. (Yes, some people do not know.) If you fail a block, you repeat it while your class continues on. If you fail a second block, you are given the option to take another career field (usually one low manned, ie. Security Forces) or you can cut your losses and administratively separate from the AF.

To make rank in the career field, you need to know everything from how networking protocols work (SNMP, FTP, DHCP, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP, HTTP, etc) to how to operate military mobile communications (microwave shots, and other wireless technologies) to how electrical current travels over a copper wire, light through fiber. The OSI and TCP models are very prevalent in training.

One of the best benefits of this career field is that you can learn other comm people's job because you will almost always work with some of their equipment. I was allowed to work on the telephone frame at Keesler, (the telephone techs don't just let anyone touch their frame). I worked with servers, Active Directory, and small computers. These things are not in our schooling and normally only 3C0s worked on them. All of these opportunities to work on other people's equipment are there, it is up to the technician to take it. Some technicians will clear their equipment of a problem and then pass it off to the next guy, but if you take an interest in how the entire circuit runs, people will be glad to train you and help you solve the problem.

Keesler sucked as a techschool student. As permanent party, it was nice. It sucked because techschool is an extension of basic training, with less supervision, but more asinine rules. If you go during spring or summer, it is hot and humid, or rainy. Fall and winter bring cold winds.

As a tech controller, you can be stationed in a base comm unit, or a mobile comm unit.

5. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

hm... CBC gulfport signing in :wiggle:

6. armond

armond New Member

Of course they do go thru the steps of figuring out how to figure out the coding right? Basically EVERYTHING is touched on for you to learn right? And it is not based on anything you should have learned outside of the training? I mean, who really does not know what a mouse and such things are?

More asinine rules than basic? Enlighten me please LOL!

The chances of being stationed overseas would be just as equal to being stationed stateside? Or is it a small chance type thing? I see the need for 3C2s as universal at all bases. Or am I just seeing it without the proper info?

I will be at tech school starting sometime during December, unless I some how fail Basic.

So the ability to learn other parts of the technology field are mostly only limited by the person him/herself?

How do you view or know this AFSC in terms of transitioning into the civilian world should I decide to get out after my 4 years. Or even after I retire(if I should choose that route).

Thanks so much so far, glad to know someone here is a 3C2 and was able to give me a very descriptive and informative bit on its characteristics.

7. armond

armond New Member

Take it to PM...

j/k LOL!:bigthumb:

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Not bad, except for when Hurricane Katrina tries to kill you. :mad:

9. armond

armond New Member

LOL! Can't wait to check it out now... ;)

10. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

You mean the POS over in N.O right?

11. Jyokker

It is not that bad. Permanent party are treated with more respect than students.

12. Jyokker

They assume you know nothing, so they teach everything. A student could be from back woods Nevada and has never seen a computer.

Many bases have contracted out the comm squadron so 3C2s are moving to more of a mobile and special assignments career field. Going overseas is the luck of the draw, you tell them where you want to go, and if there is a place available, then you might get orders there.

In December, it will be cold, but not as humid. It will not snow, and if you are from the north, you may even enjoy the cold.

The opportunity to learn other people's jobs is not so much presented, as it is a desire to learn. Sometimes people get complacent and do not want to "do someone else's job". Especially when it will not help you get promoted (won't hurt either).

If you do 4 years, you will need a bachelor's in something; computer science would be a good choice, in order to land a high paying job. There are plenty of jobs out there, but with only 4 years of experience, most employers look at you as if you just graduated college. 6 years is more desirable. A comparable job would be Network Technician.

If you learn both sides of networking (transport and application) then you can make yourself much more marketable. Most 3C2s don’t take the time to learn Linux, MS, and how they are used on the network. If you can do your job as a 3C2 and learn the job of a 3C0, you can be very successful on the outside.

13. armond

armond New Member

Your insight has truly helped me figure out a possible career path. I totally understand about the 6 years experience and whatnot.

Kinda blows about the contracting of the comm squadron, I would truly love to be able to land at least one gig overseas with my soon to be wife.

Once again, thanks for the huge amounts of personal opinion and actual information!

14. Jyokker

Overseas assignment is very much a possibility, just remember, you may have to give them 1 year in Korea in exchange for 4 in Europe or Japan.

If you are interested in 3C2, you might also be interested in 2E2 or 3C0X1, but as Koby already mentioned, 3C2 requires a TS clearance. The higher clearance you can get, the more job opportunities; in service and civilian.

15. armond

armond New Member

Well I have already signed my paperwork for a job as a 3C2, so that is already in the bag. ;)

So if I opt to go Korea for 1 year they reward me with 1 4 in Europe or Japan? When I fill out my dream sheet should I put on it Korea then? I am half Korean and have family there ;) I think my time would be easier there than most LOL!

My fiancee is also half korean, is there a chance for her to accompany me? Does Korea have accompanied tours?

16. Jyokker

Korea is an unaccompanied tour. Unless she is in the AF, she ain't going. You put Korea on your Dreamsheet, while it isn't promised but the posibility is much higher than Aviano, Italy, or some other nice location.

17. armond

armond New Member

Oh ok, I thought the Air Force was moving towards it being accompanied or something.

But if I were to volunteer kinda for it, would they be more inclined to "reward" me with an overseas tour to some place in Europe or something?

But I betcha she could get to Korea no problemo LOL! Her family and all being from there. Could work it out somehow I bet LOL!

18. Jyokker

Yes, if you volunteer to go to Korea, you can pick from a list where you want to go. It is called a follow-on.

19. armond

armond New Member

nice, sounds like a plan! when should that be brought up? during my dreamsheet time in basic?

20. Jyokker

After you receive orders in techschool, usually about a month out from graduation, you will go talk to a ton of people in what is known as out-processing.

21. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

I thought you couldn't go to Korea as your first base?

22. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Happens all the time.

23. armond

armond New Member

Well I hope I can go to Korea and get a nice follow-on, that would rock! I need to visit my mother's homeland anyway, I need to see my grandmother and my uncles who I have NEVER met. Would be a good thing for me, plus my mom would have an even better reason to come out and visit and bring my aunts and my soon to be wife.

Any experiences about Korea? I hear some hate it, some love it. Personal insight would be awesome, just some experiences would be nice to read about.

thanks Teh Barracks!

24. Jyokker

Remember to tell the investigator about your family in Korea.

Do you speak Korean?

If you speak it fluently, you can make some extra money.

25. armond

armond New Member

investigator?

i don't speak Korean unfortunately, I wish I did. one of the few things i regret in my life.