GUN .380 ACP vs 9mm for self defense

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I didn't realize anybody actually thought .380 was comparable to 9mm, but good article nonetheless. :cool:

3. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

the caliber debate always cracks me up, something is better than nothing.

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

Well, sure, but guns can be pretty expensive for some people, and are considered an investment in safety. So it would be no large stretch of the imagination to assume that the average person would want the most value for their dollar.
    Someone (such as myself) who isn't familiar with guns would probably do a lot of reading and consult multiple sources before actually going out and getting something, so a bit of healthy debate is a good thing.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

While I typically dislike the caliber argument as it sidetracks more important issues I absolutely hate the .380, and 9x18. Besides the stuff being weak sauce it gets mixed with my 9mm brass. Of course if one would slip by I would get something that would not be good to shoot out my 9mm or at very least I was a primer if I catch it on the reloader.

.380 and 9x18 should be outlawed for the above selfish reason. Also add 357 sig to this as it screws me up while reloading 40. Pistols should be standized on 9mm, and 40. for centerfire pistol catridges.

6. SNDP

SNDP New Member

My wife carries a Bersa .380 auto, and can dot an eye with it at 20M. I doubt anyone's going to laugh off a few of those when they hit. For many people such as my wife, the feel of the gun and being able to hit accurately with it is more important.

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Sure. And something good is better than something inadequate.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I think with women in particular it is important that they are comfortable and will carry the pistol. You can give them a bigger larger caliber gun but if they are afraid of it or not comfortable with it, it will get left at home.

and as joe said "better than nothing".

9. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

While compact .380 blowback pistols are cheaper than 9mm short-recoil pistols, .380 rounds are considerably more expensive than 9mm and more difficult to source. The price of any weapon used with any regularity will soon be dwarfed by the cost of feeding it.

The caliber debate with .380 vs 9mm isn't the same as 9mm vs .40S&W vs .45ACP which have incremental differences in kinetic energy; .380 is just in a much lower class than the others to the point that some expert opinions I've read don't even recommend hollow point rounds because of the difficulty that it has achieving adequate penetration in the first place.

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Corbon DPX .380 will do 9" penetration and constant expansion. Not the 12" ideal but it will get to the organs.

11. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I think the important point of the article is the mention that the AWB increased the interest of the gun manufacturers, given the limitation to magazine capacity, to produce smaller pistols chambered in proven service calibers rather than marginal loadings like the .380. You no longer need to settle for substandard performance to have a compact auto. It may have been the one positive result from the AWB.

I cringe every time I'm at a gun show or shop and see a woman being sold on a .32 or .380 as an adequate gun for defense. They are already insulting her by saying she can't handle a similarly sized .38 special or 9mm due to "recoil". Then they send her out the door with a weapon which requires more expensive ammo with far less effective available loadings.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (megingjörd: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

While the caliber comparo is always entertaining, what is often overlooked is the concealability aspect of the problem. Even a fucking mongoloid knows that bigger and faster is better. But since AMT doesn't make their ultracompact .45 anymore, being able to get a 'mousegun' in rat caliber isn't possible. Then, as always, the tradeoff returns to concealability. What is the biggest pistol I can completely conceal? For each of us, that answer is different. So yes, it does come down to something being better than nothing.

13. Virtually anyone can pretty easily conceal a small revolver like a J frame. And .38spl +P is a far better defensive caliber than .380acp.

14. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

Here's a few that might work...

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_mk.html

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=48

I agree that something is better than nothing but I am seeing people being sold on inferior guns not for concealment but because they appear less threatening to the user (many of them women). I think this is a disservice and potentially a danger to their safety if they are not knowledgable about guns.

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (megingjörd: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

While the caliber comparo is always entertaining, what is often overlooked is the concealability aspect of the problem. Even a fucking mongoloid knows that bigger and faster is better. But since AMT doesn't make their ultracompact .45 anymore, being able to get a 'mousegun' in rat caliber isn't possible. Then, as always, the tradeoff returns to concealability. What is the biggest pistol I can completely conceal? For each of us, that answer is different. So yes, it does come down to something being better than nothing.

16. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

down with .45acp, its outdated!!!

17. striker754

striker754 Chillin

40 s&w is not that great

18. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

One of the main reasons I switched from the Kel-Tec P3AT to the Kel-Tec PF-9 was the issue of power. The slightly larger pocket carry size was worth it, by me feeling more comfortable with the 9mm over the .380. The only downside is that i sold the .380 to my dad, but he rarely if ever carries.

19. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

All Hail 9mm, the best round in the galaxy.

20. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I carry a .32.