GUN .38 for self defense... thoughts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Crossett, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Crossett

Crossett New Member

A friend of mine lives in a part of town where crime is starting to go up quiet a bit. She's actually been harassed some at her house. Called the cops and all they said was they would note it and "patrol the area more". I've been talking to her about buying a handgun, more specifically a J frame. We went and rented a S&W 640 and shot .38 and .357 through it. She likes the gun a lot but hates the recoil of .357. We didn't shoot any .38+P and I don't have any experience with what the recoil is like. Is .38 enough or should I recommend something else?

2. I really don't know what the difference in recoil is between the .38 and .38+p, but it's definitely a worthwhile defensive round. Either use full wadcutters or Speer's Short Barrel Gold Dot load for defense.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I pocket carry a j-frame in 38 when it's not feasible for me to carry my G19.

is it a reasonable self defense carry? yes.

well, it is for everyone except the "no .4x no care" crew.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i carry a S&W 642 and trust it to do the trick

if hollow point 38+p (speer gold dot in mine) doesn't stop someone i guess i was wrong but i'm not worried and don't see why anyone would worry, it was effective enough for law enforcement to use it for a million years

the recoil diff between the +P and regular 38spl is slight, the +P doesn't recoil nearly like the .357

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  5. Crossett

Crossett New Member

:coold: thanks guys

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I came here to post this.

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If .38 is what she can accurately shoot and make reasonably quick follow-ups with, then that's the best caliber for her to use.

8. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Try going to the range and shooting 50 rounds of +P vs 50 rounds or normal target loads, I'd say the difference is more than "slight"

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

speer makes some baller ass .38spl rounds

10. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

that's what's loaded in teh wife's 642

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i have, i've fired 90 rounds of +p (kept 10 so i had 5 in my 642 and 5 in my wifes)

and about 300 of regular 38spl and i honestly don't think there was much difference in recoil :dunno:

12. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Should be fine. I've shot .38 and .38+p out of a little revolver and the difference in recoil is negligible. What part of town is this, like around Pleasant Valley and Oltorf? I had a girlfriend that lived over there and I walked around on the street at night before I got my CHL. Thinking back it probably wasn't the smartest idea.

13. Crossett

Crossett New Member

Some where in Round Rock i'm not really familiar with that far north though. There's a bunch of shitty KB homes up there that got filled up with "refugees" after Katrina...

14. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I carry a 642 and a G26 (not at the same time). The .38 round is adequate, but I hope to hell if I end up in a gun fight its when I'm carrying the G26, cause I can't hit shit with the 642.

15. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil New Member

I have a couple hundred rounds of .38 to sell. Let me know if you buy a .38. Nothing wrong with .38's, I like them, had a smith and wesson for a while. Target ammo and self defense ammo available as a lot.

16. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Sure. A .38 is perfectly adequate for self defense. I've never fired 357 through a pocker revolver, but I'm guessing that the recoil is pretty nasty, which would make timely follow up shots really difficult...

You also have to figure that if the gun is painful/un-pleasant for her to shoot, she won't practice with it very often. Remember, shot placement is more important than caliber. The .22lr that hits a perp is going to do a lot more damage than a 50 cal that misses.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And of course its important to have her shoot the guns. My experience is men think a snub is a far better gun for a woman than the women like it. And its no surprise, it is a gun that is very difficult to shoot well. And and usual, if she won't be carrying a handgun is a crappy choice too and something like a 20ga with a youth stock or an ar would be awesome.

18. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Trigger pull on a j-frame can be tough to get used to for an expierenced shooter, not sure I'd give one to someone that doesn't have a lot of knowledge of guns.

19. P-chan

P-chan New Member

During my CCW class, there was a lady that brought a stubby revolver, I didn't catch the model, but pretty sure it was a S&W .38 with maybe a 3" and exposed hammer. She couldn't hit shit with it. A friend of mine let her try his Glock 30 and she was hitting every shot. Was pretty funny, actually.

20. How far were you guys shooting where she couldn't hit anything? I can make good hits at the distance I expect to employ my 340PD.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You are also a reasonably well experienced shooter. Thats sort of the point I was making ;)

22. I see. :o Practice is very important.

23. P-chan

P-chan New Member

25 feet.

24. P-chan

P-chan New Member

We were also shooting at steel targets about 8" round.