360 mod/repair crew: couple of questions for you...

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Mofolicious, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

OK, I started doing the x-clamp fix, and I'm pretty far along. I've been putting this off for months now, and finally I"m going to do it. I need to go get the washers or whatever from the hardware store tomorrow when it is open, but I thought I'd get a good start on it now. I've gotten to the point that my heatsinks and everything are off the mobo. Now:

1) I have another 360 in the closet that got fucked up when a friend tried to mod it. If I fuck everything up, can I take that motherboard and put it in this 360? Assuming I put my dvd drive and everything off this 360 back into it? Would it be beneficial to me to stop with the x-clamp fix and just throw this motherboard in, save some time and have a working xbox?

2) I'm running old firmware on this box. 1.3 maybe? I had 1.4 installed when MS started banning people, but when I plugged in, I realized that I had already been banned, and got my guy to flash it back to 1.3 so that I could play some of my older, non stealthed backups. But now I hear that I need to go 1.5 to play new shit, so I'm considering that. I was thinking about doing it myself, but don't know if I have the right hardware. I've heard it's easy, and I've seen it done, but I've never attempted it. Should I bother flashing to 1.5? Any way to take some of my old non stealthed backups and rip them, patch them and reburn them? :hs:

Sorry for the novel. Any help would be appreciated.

2. sony

sony Active Member

1) sure if you get the key from the fucked up dvd drive and put it on your new one/spoof it etc.

2) 1.5 will run your old backups because it has no protections against running non-stealth stuff, again.. you'll probably need your key though

3. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

1) What did he fuck up on the 360 in the closet? Unless you got the key off the DVD drive of the 360 in the closet before whatever happened to it it's a paper weight. The DVD drives are tied to the mobo and the keys have to match one another, only way as of right now to get the key is through DVD drive f/w.

2) Some/(most?) new games (HAWX was the first one) require 1.51 to boot now. If you want to play your older games and newer games I'd wait for 1.6 which is in the works, no ETA yet but I'd guess in the next month or 2. It supposedly has a feature that will allow you to boot non-stealth games, some sort of swap-out boot disc or some shit. As for re-ripping your games it's probably just easier to re-download them and run the iso through abgx and patch it from there.

4. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

OK, yeah that was the problem with the one in the closet. They fucked up the flash process, and I think they lost the drive key or some shit. I don't know the exact details, but that sounds familiar. I actually had the guy that flashed this 360 for me take the dvd drive out and put it in this other xbox when it failed.

So I'm going to go ahead and guess that it is useless...

5. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

So pretty much finish up this xclamp fix and put it back together and wait for 1.6? I'm ok with that. :hs:

6. Alvin

Alvin New Member

If you're on a non-stealth firmware you will be able to play Wave 3 games as the firmware won't be checking for discrepancies

7. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

I don't understand a damn thing you just said. :o

Do you mean I'll be able to play new games that wouldn't work on 1.4?

8. HipHopHead

oh yeah, I forgot about that. :doh:

9. HipHopHead

Yeah, just keep what you got if you're already banned, you'll be able to play everything.

10. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

11. myvpnreviews

myvpnreviews New Member

sweet ava.[​IMG]

12. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

Fuck I can't find nylon washers anywhere in this city. I couldn't even find the right size bolts. :ugh:

I think I might have to order the kit and wait it out. :uh:

13. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

:canada:

14. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

cant jungleflasher retreive keys ?

15. Dogz

oh

16. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

You mean :moosejawsaskatchewan:

17. Alvin

Alvin New Member

As long as the drive isn't completely dead, yes.

Along with an entire slew of other programs

18. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

OK, so here's my new problem. I followed Llama's guide to a T, and I'm getting two red lights (upper left, lower left). No amount of screw adjustment will change that. I've removed and reinstalled the cpu and gpu twice now. Thermal paste amount is good, and everything looks great, but it just won't turn on without thinking it's overheated.

All the fucking around with the screws has fucked the heatsink for the GPU though too. I can't thread screws into it properly. I'm going to rip into my other one eventually, but I don't think that is going to fix the problem at all.

What the fuck do I do now? I'm so angry with this thing I'm ready to take the sledge to it.

19. Dogz

Have you tried the towel trick after youve tightened the screws ?

I dont really know what im talking about though:o

20. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

Can't do that. It somehow sees an overheat problem and basically shuts down after a second or two. The actual next step is to overheat it, but I can't because it won't stay on. I have no idea what to do now. :hs:

21. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

I'm going to fix mine tomorrow. fuck putting the case back on.

22. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

I'd do it just to keep the dust out. Once you take it apart, you realize that it's actually really easy.

Of course I wouldn't put it on until I was absolutely sure it is fixed right. I hope you have better luck than I am having. :o

23. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

You said you never found the proper screws...did you ever find the right screws? Do they not have Home Depot in Canada? They should have Lowes though, right? The screws you need are 5mm .80x10, the nylon washers should be #10 and the washers should be 5mm as well. I pick up a set of each at least once a week from Home Depot. Did you completely clean off the thermal paste to get a mirror finish?

24. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

here are the part numbers you need from lowes.

m5-.80 x 10 part #138433
    #10 flat washers - nylon #139065
    5mm flat washers - metal #138319

i picked up 2 xboxs from CL yesterday both claiming RROD. one fucker lied to me and said he had never opened it. did a good job of keeping the warranty sticker intact. i opened it up and oh look fucking penny fix. i xclamp fixed it and its working. 30 dollar xbox ftw

2nd box was an elite with harddrive and cables. bought that one for 60 bucks. he claimed it was never opened either. before i went digging in, i plugged it up and it worked fine. its a ticking time bomb but oh well. played tiger woods on that one for 4 hours last night and it didnt even hiccup :dunno:

25. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

Now are you starting to see why I love XBox 360s so much? Now just imagine making $300 a pop off of those two XBoxes you got for $45 each. :mamoru: