A&P 35mm SLR Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by k2737, Mar 16, 2005.

1. k2737

k2737 Active Member

I am taking a photography class and I need to get a 35mm SLR with a couple lenses, some type of flash, and the settings need to be manual. I am thinking of going with an older camera because it seems the newer ones aren’t fully manual, like they will have auto focus or something. I want to spend under 200 on this and the cheaper it is the better, but I still want something with a decent quality. I have been shooting with digital for about 1/2 a year so I know some stuff about changing the settings but this class should really be able to help me out. So what are your recommendations for a camera that can do what I need?

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Nikon FM2 with a 35mm and 85mm lens :dunno:

3. k2737

k2737 Active Member

4. Relay

Relay New Member

Canon ae-1
    Canon ae-1 Program
    Canon A-1

a 50mm lens should get you by pretty well in your class.

5. Two toys

Two toys New Member

Get a refurbished canon rebel. great camera... and if its a photo class you dont want to be doing manual focus.. if youve never shot with a 35mm before it will be to much to think about.. stick with manual f/stop and shutter speed settings. and auto focus.. its not even a cheat tool just a great time saver

6. k2737

k2737 Active Member

I was thinking about the AE-1, but my friend told me his roomate is selling his Nikon N2020 so I am going over to check that out. Any experience with it? I guess it is an Auto Focusing camera.

7. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

I'd agree with a used Rebel. I have a Rebel (Ti) and I like it. I'm not sure about the auto focus thing though, when I took my intro class I'd never used a SLR before and manual focus wasnt that big of a deal, learning how to make/take a proper exposure was harder and she (the instructor) didn't want us using anything auto. Granted it's nice to have when you are just shooting for fun or to document a trip or something.

8. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Well this nikon can go fully auto or manual. I have taken a couple pictures with it today, I intend on finishing off the roll tomorrow so I will be able to see how they come out. Thanks.