GUN 357 Sig Opinions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by manwhosaysfag, Aug 4, 2003.

1. I've done my reading, that says that 357 Sig has more potential than a +p+ 9mm round and beats a number of other handgun rounds through glass, but what do YOU guys think about it as a cartridge?

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i don't know as much as most of the others, but imo, it comes down to what you are comfortable with. if you are more accurate/feel better with it, go for it. each caliber/cartridge has its pros and cons. choose the one you like best and go with it. that's just my opinion though.

3. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

it is probobly more effective than a 9mm +p+ .. but more expensive to train with than regular 9mm.. so if it's oging to be your only handgun, that is something to consider.

peronally i would rather carry a .45acp or a 10mm, i have more confidence in bigger bullets (and particularly in bigger bullets moving quickly) .. although the .357sig is probobly the best autoloading cartridge for cover penitration (save the desert eagle autoloaders :cool: )

like mrbill said, see how you like shooting it, different calibers have different feels to them

4. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I love mine, but am disappointed in the ammo choices.
    I just love having the power of a .357Magnum in a pistol.

5. smell my finger

you dont have the power of a .357mag in a pistol :hs:

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I know that shot placement is more important than caliber selection.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i know that if i combine the best ammo with the best shot placement, i'll be better off than just having good shot placement.

8. smell my finger

while i agree that the 357sig is the best performing, standard autoloader.. i think expansion is more critical than absolute energy delivery .. IBhugedebate ..

9. footratfunkface

yeah, i'm going to have to say that energy delivery is useless if it doesn't make a larger permanent cavity. which is why expansion is so critical. and my whole thing is that i can get almost exactly the same expansion with the best 9mm as with the best .45 and .40 and .357 sig, and fit more rounds in the pistol, and cost less to shoot on a regular basis.

10. smell my finger

ive never seen a 9mm expand to the degree of the best .45 hollow points

11. footratfunkface

9mm mag capacity isn't limited, and as stated before, many .40 mags will handle .357sig just fine.

12. smell my finger

:dunno: show me a 9mm that will expand to .85 inches, im not saying they wont, i have just never seen it

13. footratfunkface

show me a .45 that will expand to .85 inches. i've never seen that. the most i've seen is around .65.

14. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

15. smell my finger

www.ammolab.com

they have a test of a wide range of rounds .. .45 expansion was normally from .65 -.85 inches

16. footratfunkface

what kind of crooked logic are you using? the mag is already an un-neutered, preban mag, for .40 S&W. let's say it holds a hypothetical 15 rounds. now, when you go from .40 to .357 sig, it's going to hold the same number of rounds, since the brass is the same size, just necked down. yet, somehow, this mag suddenly becomes a TOTALLY DIFFERENT and BRAND NEW postban mag, just because you put a different ammunition in it? no. you're wrong.

17. footratfunkface

Ammunition feeding devices having a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition that were manufactured on or before September 13, 1994, are excluded from the definition of "large capacity ammunition feeding device" and, therefore, are not subject to the prohibitions. [18 U. S. C. 922( v)( 2), (v)( 4), (w)( 2) and (w)( 3)]

The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" is defined as a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after September 13, 1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

hmm. in these two quotes, i see postban mags defined simply as being MANUFACTURED after that date. it says nothing anywhere about changing calibers of ammo. the fact is, the mag was made to hold more than 10 rounds, and it was made before the ban. that makes it perfectly legal to own and use for .357 sig. if you show me a code section or an official...well, anything at all, maybe that would help. as of yet, you've simply produced an ATF page that says nothing new.

18. smell my finger

everyone seems to think that it is legal to use Springfield XD .40 mags for their XD9's to get hi-caps :dunno:

19. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

That seems to spell it out good enough for me. If the magazine was made pre Sept 1994, then it's not restricted in any way by this law.

20. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If your state has its own, differently worded standard capacity ban, it may be illegal, but the fed AWB does not prohibit you from using magazines in any gun or caliber that works so long as they still function with the gun/caliber they were designed for. You have not created a new postban "high capacity" magazine simply by loading it with different ammo.

i like the .357 SIG, it's got good numbers, good expansion, good penetration, and a quick snappy recoil that i find easy to shoot rapidly.