350z

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Axespeed, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

I'm thinking of getting this car ...does anyone own it? How much? Satisfaction?

I was also thinking the G35 but changed my mind

(I'm looking for speed and quality but still at a cheap price..can anyone name a different car i might like?)

BTW: Sorry if this thread was already made, for some reason my search button only searches in 3 forums

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's a sweet car. I like the g35 a lot more, but you can get a brand-new 350z for $27k, so that's a hell of a deal.

3. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i have one. love it. couldnt justify spending $5k more for a 6MT G35c only to get 6 gears and a bunch of other shit to make it heavier.

got everything i wanted and nothing more.

the clutch on the 2005 is much softer, with a short throw, but makes a wierd raspy noise when shifting gears above 4500rpm that you'll have to get used to. the shifter is well designed, with minimal vibration and just enough resistance to find gears easily... very short throw for a stock shifter, too.

the seats are well bolstered, but will not work if you are girthy. they support VERY tightly in the mid section, and the thigh bolsters keep your ass in place. the cloth seats tend to hold you better due to friction, while the leather feels like the bolsters are not as significant.

the steering has great feel, with very little power assist... but it does not have a tendency to return to center when at parking lot speeds, so be prepared to wheel it a bit in tight situations.

oversteer is the word of the day. it has a significant tendency to power-on oversteer. it will understeer when pushed, but that's due to the differing front and rear wheel widths.

ride quality is relatively harsh for a stock suspension. i used to race cars, and this thing is on the edge of "comfortable' for the street. it does jackrabbit a bit over bumps, requiring a bit more dampening control, but for $27k, i'm not complaining. i think a bit has to be lent to the aluminum suspension being quite light on the rebound.

the power is great, although i dont think it's near the advertised 287hp, or it doesnt feel like it to my ass. i'd guess more around 250-260. the torque is significant though, and pulls harder than a V6 should. torque comes on very low, and the smooth transition over the variably timed cam system is event-free, only feeling the onset of more pull when you climb past 5000rpm. after 5krpm, it pulls wildly into redline.

after 60mph, the car has solid pull in 6th gear, usually not requiring a downshift, even when going uphill, to pass. torque coming on strong at 2500rpm or so being the reason. most of the torque is made before you hit 3500rpm, with peak being near the 4800rpm area, i think.

braking will get you to a stop F-A-S-T. the braking on the car is as serious as a heartattack, and can get you out of trouble by being very effective.

all in all, it's a fun car. i wish it had a moonroof, but there's so little roof, it's negligible. the exhaust note is quite a surprise to hear from a V6, much less a Japanese V6. you will be surprised to hear the notes it plays if you stand behind it and let someone else start the car. it really shocked me the first time i heard it.

2005 brought quite a few minor updates to the car, like heated mirrors and tire pressure monitoring as standard equipment. they also included a front DC power outlet, which was lacking on earlier models. interior trim pieces are now using a new formulation of plastic, giving them a more solid, leathery type of feel, foregoing the plasticky cheapness that haunted the earlier models.

all in all, well worth the money. you get a lot of car for the money, and a damn good value in a sports car.

also, consider the Subaru WRX, which sells for a couple thousand cheaper, or the WRX STi, which sells for a couple thousand more.

4. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

^Sounds good.
    I was thinking of tuning the suspension anyway so that problem might be fixed

And yeah i was considering the WRX STi when i lived in Chicago, but then i moved to Florida and there's really no point in having it ..

Thanx for the replies.

5. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

I agree with drift with almost everything. Only thing I would say is that the advertised 287 puts down anywhere from 225-245 on teh dyno. There is also I believe... 3? different stock ECUs out right now because Nissan keeps tweaking things. Overall I love the car. I have an 04, I've had it for about a year and a half now and its still fun to drive.