A&P 350D Question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 2demon5, Sep 22, 2005.

1. 2demon5

2demon5 New Member

I am trying to learn the in and outs of this camera. Recently i started shooting in RAW just to learn more and experiment.

Tonight i ran in to something, that i hope someone can clear up for me.

I was reading in the manual about using the B/W setting, and using the Filter and Toning Effects. In the manual it states "If the image-recording quality is RAW and the parameter is B/W, the image can be converted back to color with the bundled software"

When i shoot with the camera set to B/W and RAW, when i pull the RAW files off the card, and open them up, they are all in color. I am assuming that the reason for this is because when in RAW mode, no effects are applied to the image what so ever, at least thats what i am assuming.

So is this just a misprint in the manual, or am i missing something here?

Thanks in advance, and here's a odd pic that i got while messing with the settings. (This is the JPEG, cam was set to L+RAW for this one)

[​IMG]

2. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Pretty sure it gives you two files, one B/W and then the original full color one. Its been a while since I have shot the B/W mode on the camera.

Better off just shooting color RAW and converting to B/W in CS2 (or whatever photoshop you have).

3. I don't think it would save as 2 files, that's alot of time/space wasted.

:werd: better off just shooting color raw and converting it

4. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

RAW is absolutely raw, no processing of ANY sort.
    The BW jpg it outputs is simply the RAW with some internal processing.

This is why I never bother to put the camera in BW mode, as it's just as easy to do it while I'm in post processing (not to mention the fact the you're going to end up adjusting contrast, etc at this point anyway).

ninja edit: this is for 20D anyway, I'd guess 10D, 300D, 20D, 350D work like this.

5. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

it does when you tell it to (L+RAW).
    it's convenient for when you don't want to fire up your RAW converter (like for point & sh0ot stuff).