A&P 350D or D70s?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pagina, Oct 29, 2005.

1. pagina

pagina OT Supporter

I'm a semi-noob photographer looking to go DSLR. I am contemplating between the Canon 350D or the Nikon D70. Pro's/Con's of both? How are the kit lenses? Worth getting the kit for? I am also going to need a decent macro lense and a decent zoom lense (not too much)....which would you reccomend? What else would you get besides the camera/lense/card?

Thanks guys!
    ~Patrick

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

I own 350D :o

I like it because its extremely light, but thats just me.

Kit is good if you need to go somewhere where light and cheap lens is needed.

Its mediocre lens.

For decent macro zoom lens I swear by tamron 25-78 2.8 XR Di :o, but you need to get a good copy of it as some can be soft.

If you can get a tripod and a camera bag.

3. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Get the 350D. But body only. THe kit lens on the 350D sucks.

4. Crossett

Crossett New Member

D70 > 350d

5. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

No.

6. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Lets see, the 350D has higher resultion, better image quality, powers on, and shoots faster, is smaller and lighter. THe only advantage the D70 has over 350D is the second dial.
    350D > D70

7. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

My D70 powers on faster than I can go from flipping it on with my index finger, and pressing the shutter. How much faster do you need? People with SLRs leave their shit on all the time anyways. I hate small and light cameras.

8. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

350D isn't "small and light". It's smaller and lighter than D70, and it is a good thing. If it was any smaller it would be uncomfortable to use (I have larger than average hands), but its size is perfect.
    With a light prime, you don't even notice it hanging from your neck.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

there are nikon sackriders and canon sackriders in this forum...you can't ask those kind of questions.

you need to go and play with both cameras to figure out which one feels better in your hand. i'll say D70 > 350D but I like Nikon prosumer cameras and canon pro cameras. you need to figure out which one feels better and has the features you really want.

10. Rotate

Rotate New Member

Go to the store and play with both and get the ones that feels better in your hands. The differences in the cameras won't matter to 99.5% of people.

I have the D70 and I love it. I almost bought the 350D and I'm glad I didnt because I just like the D70 overall. Everyone will have a camera that fits them.

11. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

who cares
    no
    HELL NO
    smaller and lighter = :greddy:

other D70 advantages: faster flash sync, better built, better detail, better glass, faster power up, FAR better metering, I could go on

12. Hua

Not to mention the CLS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. pagina

pagina OT Supporter

So would one really be able to tell the difference between 6mp and 8mp?

If I got just the body, what lense would you guys reccomend as a first for the 350d?

EDIT: Hua what's up man, I'm from SF. Hit me up on aim sometime; pputkowski.

14. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Lenses? What's your burget?
    Because you could get a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 for $400, or a set of Canon primes that covers the same focal range for $12,000.

15. pagina

pagina OT Supporter

Well, I did want my budget to be around $800 but I can see that it's probably not going to happen. Is the 300D really not that good of a camera? I ask because they are going for dirt cheap on ebay and I could probably get one with some decent glass. Is it worth it the extra $300 for the 350D?

16. Ingen

Ingen New Member

37 milliseconds > whatever the 350d is powering up at. And if it isn't, the power switch is more convenient so it's STILL faster even if it's slower. It shoots .5 fps faster :dunno: and decent processing makes the image quality equal.

17. Hua

No, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

18. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

19. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

all of my pics here www.spideronthefloor.com were taken with a 300d. i love it, i was thinking about upgrading to the 20d but i just can't justify it yet. i have a few photos blown up to 20"x30" and they look great. The startup time doesn't bother me too much

20. Crossett

Crossett New Member

you might be able to tell a tiny difference if you were printing stuff > 24" x 36", but for anything smaller than that not at all.

8 megapixels does not produce an image that is 33% larger than 6 megapixels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  21. pagina

pagina OT Supporter

Well after going and looking at the cameras....I have come to the conclusion that the D70 is MUCH, MUCH nicer. Thanks for all of the help guys. Now, what should be my first lense (not buying the kit lense)?

22. Crossett

Crossett New Member

QFT

get the 18-70 and a 50mm 1.8

23. mojito

mojito New Member

bigger the pixels, the less noise. thats why the mark II :)love:) can do better at higher isos

and yes you can see a difference between 6 and 8. However, lenses will make an even bigger impact. Used lenses are th way to go. Check out hte forums like www.fredmiranda.com, www.photo.net, www.photography.on.the.net etc. If you aren't willing to sommit to anything yet, get a used 10D of D100 and a decent lens, try it out, if you don't like it or want to switch, you won't really lose out on any lost value

24. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if you get the D70, the kit lens is a great starting lens. I actually use it for most of my general shooting when I don't need the zoom. get the kit. when it comes down to what you'd probably be using it for, the 2mp's won't make much difference. your file sizes will vary, but not horribly.

if you have a The Good Guys store near you, they're going out of business and the D70 kit was going for $928.

25. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I bought the 350D because of the low noise at 1600 iso.