3500$$$ car??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by elephant16, Aug 22, 2003.

1. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

Im looking around for a car for around 3500. I need some suggestions on what to look for? I need it to be Super reliable with lots of balls. it needs to get decent gas milage also. 18mpg+ preferable will make exception if it has alot of power. No weak gas guzzlers tho.

As far as an import type car ive just about narrowed it down to a nissan maxima. That car is still a little weak (170hp).

plan to put around 100 miles a day on it. The gas milage is sorta iffy. i needs to get at least better gas milage than a 99 4.0 ford explorer.

2. matt_c

matt_c Guest

i'm building a nice sleeper right now. 1984 Caprice. Looks like it would fit in perfectly in the ghetto, even thought about getting some wires for it :o

Getting either a 350 or 396 for it. :wiggle:

Oh yeah, the car only cost me $300 :big grin:

EDIT: here it is

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2003
  3. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

i saw a sweet 82 caprice but the crazy bastard wanted 2200 for it. maybe i can find one for 500. Would a 454 fit? that leaves me around 3000 to spend on motor/trans/rear end/performance. damn it. Most likely im not going to find anything already together and with balls for the amount of money i have.

4. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

ive also been looking at the police packages with the lt1s.... Cops drive the shit out of those cars tho.

They also have alot of crown vics but those vics are probaly slow. 4.6 probaly dosnt put out that much power

5. matt_c

matt_c Guest

the police cars may be ragged on, but you will know it's a car that has been well taken care of, can't have a cruiser break down while in pursuit now can they?

6. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

how reliable are the lt1 engines. Most cop cars i see for sale are about 70k, I know its a bad idea but i was considering getting one on ebay flying in and driving one home. I may look around localy there has to be some sort of auction for retired cop cars near me somewhere.

btw the crown vic vs the lt1 caprice which would be quicker/more reliable?

7. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

can never go wrong with a Fox body

8. matt_c

matt_c Guest

the LT1 would definitely be better

i'm a chevy guy, so i'm a little biased, i think most people will agree tho

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

LT1 is definitely a good engine..... the only problem you'll ever have is that optispark. Make sure the car you get has had the opti recently rebuilt or (preferably) replaced. There's an abundance of performance parts for them, and for the B-body there are lots of parts too since the impala SS crowd eats alot of them up.

10. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

get a 5.0 mustang, ive got an 88 and pull 22 beating the shit out of it...and its got balls, parts are hella cheap and lots of aftermarket.

11. www.impalassforum.com

for lots of info on the 9c1 lt1 caprice. fox body square back mustang would be my second choice btw.

12. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Reliable, efficient commuter != performance car.

I'd say find something like an early 90s Corolla/Camry as a daily driver, save up and buy something else to be your "fast" car.

13. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

super reliable and lots of balls is gonna be hard for 3500. 87-93 stangs have decent balls stock and have a big aftermarket. They are very reliable too besides the normal wear and tear of a 12-15 year old car.

14. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I dunno if you are into tuning, but I reckon you could buy an 80's Camaro for about $1,000 (with AC), and tune it up a bit. And if your a "Ricer", I'm sure that the left over $2,500 could make one full blown maker over.

Just a thought.

15. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

If you do get a 3rd gen Camaro, get one with the 350, not the crappy 305 V8.

16. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

i may save up and spend 6000.00 that way i can find something fast/reliable. I was thinking of a 9c1 caprice. Get the motor/trans rebuilt should have a fairly decent ride.

if i can save up 4-6000 i could probaly even find 96 or so cameros/firebirds (i think) with decent milage

17. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

hell if you want a F Bod mine is for sale, not for 6k though :o