GUN 35-Year-Old Woman Tasered In Front Of Customers At Best Buy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 21, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

35-Year-Old Woman Tasered In Front Of Customers At Best Buy
    http://www.wftv.com/news/14898682/detail.html
    POSTED: 1:02 pm EST December 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 5:17 pm EST December 20, 2007

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- In front of a crowd of customers, a Volusia County woman was shocked by a taser while she was trying to shop. The 35-year-old yoga instructor got so loud and irate inside a busy Daytona Beach store, a police officer tasered her.

The surveillance video from inside the Daytona Beach Best Buy has the American Civil Liberties Union up in arms. The police officer said she used the taser to calm the irate and upset woman down.

Daytona Beach's police chief is defending his officer's actions. Chief Michael Chitwood said his officer acted appropriately when she tased an allegedly unruly customer at the Best Buy. The entire incident was caught on store surveillance.

In the video, 35-year-old Elizabeth Beeland is visible as she allegedly causes a commotion at the entrance to the store after being confronted about the use of a suspect credit card that was actually her's. The video shows her waving her arms and appearing upset.

As Beeland turns away, Officer Claudia Wright confronts her and then deploys her taser, striking Beeland in the abdomen.

"The woman is repeatedly told to cease and desist her conduct and activities. As the officer is trying to approach her, you can see her throw her hands up and her arms flailing. The taser is designed for incidents like that," Chitwood said.

Neither Beeland nor her attorney spoke to Channel 9 about the incident, but the officer said Beeland was "verbally profane, abusive, loud and irate." Beeland was booked into the Volusia County jail.

It was the first time a Daytona Beach officer has used a taser without actual physical confrontation or resistance.

"If the officer goes hands on and takes her down and she breaks her nose or breaks her jaw or knocks her teeth out of her mouth, well then it's, 'How come you didn't use the taser?'" Chitwood said.

Beeland still faces the charges related to the incident, including disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Copyright 2007 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Sounds like a good tasing to me, easily avoidable but the soccermom chose not to go that route.
    I think more soccer moms should be publically tased.

2. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

damn.... and I didn't work today.

I drive by that Best Buy at least twice a day.

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I would have lol'd

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

I agree, some of them are of the most rudest people I've ever met. They have a permanent stick up their butts like they can do no wrong and think they can get away with acting like "it's always me first."

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I always get a laugh from stories like this. It's the same as people that freak out in taffic about someone pulling in front of them. You're trying to do your Christmas shopping for the kids and have a little problem. Instead of trying to resolve the situation like an adult you get all pissy, throw a fit, and end up causing yourself a lot more trouble than the situation warranted.

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

That cop is a fucking idiot, if she cannot handle a situation like that without using her taser, she shouldn't be a cop.

That woman was not right either, but she did not deserve to be shot with a taser.

The problem is being a woman cop, she CANNOT handle situations like that, and that's the problem with 90% of female officers. If it would have two men, they could have just put her into submission on the ground and handcuffed her till she calmed down. He says "oh what if she broke her nose, blah blah blah" what if the taser stops her heart all because she got pissed off and offended that they accused her of using a stolen credit card when it was, infact hers? Not to mention the whole situation PROBABLY could have just been handled with some people skills.

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

They always said in all my crim classes that female officers are better at defusing a situation and don't have to resort to violence as often. I guess that doesn't go for this lady.

8. smartypants

smartypants New Member

[​IMG]

It's a shame that the female officer did not have superior upper body strength.

9. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

It is a shame.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well if the lady didn't act batshit crazy she wouldn't of had to of gotten tased, the whole situation probably would of been resolved w/o police involvment if she stayed calm, showed her ID and maybe have to place a quick call to the CC company.

11. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

True, but all people like that really want is someone to say "We're sorry to say we were wrong, but our intentions were in your best interest, we take credit card fraud seriously here, take a 10% coupon off for your next purchase from us and please forgive us for humiliating you in front of your peers"

Being a mediator is what police officers spend a good majority of their time doing. And if I had to guess this situation boiled down to a pissed off over reacting customer and a few stubborn over worked employees who would not admit they did the wrong thing.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

At the time the employees and cops still thought the card was stolen heres part of another article with some more details on the actual incident http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD01122007.htm

13. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I think that's the problem right there why this lady got tazed, the cop threatened to arrest her and realized the only way she could do it was if she used her tazer.

This country has a HUGE problem with cops abusing tazers, and I think this is another incident.

That lady is far from an angel but I seriously doubt she deserved to be tased, I seriously doubt she posed a threat to that cop, that cop just got scared and probably realized she couldn't take her down to back up her threat of arresting her. But that's just my speculation :dunno:

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

oh noes someone using their hands to gesture as they talk

must be a terrorist!!1

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

. . .

16. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

See and I disagree with the use of a taser in that situation. The taser is supposed to be used as an alternative to deadly force, meaning if the use of deadly force isn't authorized, neither is tasing. This isn't an unheard of role, think of rubber bullets and shotgun rounds.

Cases like this just open it to a cop tasing you just because you legally don't comply with his request, or just because you're standing to close, etc. etc. The possibilities are boundless.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  17. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

PS Cops have too much power.

18. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

:werd: Made me lol, but it's true.

19. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

That statement is completely false.

20. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

Even being justified it was just a poor decision to use her tazer and it will certainly hurt the departments PR.

I dont think its an abuse so much as a crutch. Officers are tazing quicker and quicker and seems they just use it to settle situations instantly rather then using common sense at times.

21. Werm

Werm Guest

Bitch deserved to be tasered. Tantrums end when you're 3... maybe 4 years old. If anyone let anyone down it's this bitches parents for raising a useless to society bitch.

"Not to mention the whole situation PROBABLY could have just been handled with some people skills"

More like the whole situation could have been avoided if the customer had not acted like a dumb bitch and started throwing her arms around and yelling :hsugh:

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

link to times when tasers stopped peoples' hearts who DID NOT have a preexisting heart condition?

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

to mediate and resolve it peacefully like you suggest, both parties have to be willing to cooperate. if the woman was "verbally profane, abusive, loud and irate" how can that mediation process begin?

If she knew she was right, why not act calm and explain the situation of mistaken identity instead of acting like a little bitch?

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

did you even read it?
    the lady wasnt even listening