335i coupe vs G37

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jyoon79, Oct 2, 2007.

1. jyoon79

jyoon79 New Member

which would you get and why? money is a factor

2. RedRob

RedRob Suck my dick and call me shorty OT Supporter

don't know too much about the g37 but i would go with the 335I. like the g35 the g37 looks fat. the body lines look boring reminds me of that lexus coupe.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

g37 is nice. The bmw is nice, too... But I'm not much into the bmw "mentality" Just don't seem to like their drivers. Get the infiniti.

4. bob_fm

bob_fm New Member

I would take the G37 mainly because of the price. Yeah the BMW probably is more of a sports car, but for everyday driving and maintenance costs the G37 is a better buy

5. slowbmw

slowbmw New Member

the 335i will be what the supra is now in 15 years...it has the capacity to make serious hp and will hold its value well.

6. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

I don't wanna see a all around car being 'reduced' to like a straight line beast. I mean, that happened to the supra a bit; Toyota marketed as a corvette rival tourer, and having 18 year olds pick it up used and dragging it was not the intent.
    But who cares, right? :p

7. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Even being a nissan/infiniti fan, I'd actually go with the 335i. The G37 is just too heavy IMO. Now if we're talking about sedans, I'd go with the 6-speed G35s because the price really is a substantial difference and it's not THAT overweight...

I like the styling of the G a lot more than any new BMW (especially the interior) but performance wise, the BMW takes the cake...

8. Bleed

Bleed New Member

Interior of the new 3 series is pretty weak in my opinion. It just feels and looks cheap. With that said, i would still go with the 3 series. Performance wise, the 335i is great and pretty smooth too so its great as a daily driver.

9. red97gst

red97gst New Member

I think it's too early to tell. Part of the Supra's value is in the fact the motors will take massive HP on the stock block and hold power reasonably reliably(too early to tell on the BMW motor, correct me if someone's reliably ran 600whp for over 30k miles already), and their electronics systems are easier to manipulate than the 335i (or most modern Euro cars for that matter).

The cost involved in tweaking these cars (for consumers) is also more than on a 2JZ (not that its dirt-cheap to go single turbo on a 2jz). People were acting the same way with the B5 S4, after it produced nice results with just an aftermarket chip, until 2 yrs later when your turbos shit themselves and youre looking at a $6,000 bill to replace them cuz you have to pull the motor. Yet I don't know of many people in the USA that have taken the 2.7 biturbo audi motor to its limits, just due to the immense cost involved when you consider this is a sports-LUXURY car and youre essentially removing the latter half of that equation with major mods. Of course there a plenty of people running 10's in turbocharged E36's and such, so I guess it's a moot point.

Despite the electronics it could indeed be a "easily tuneable hot-rod" compared to the BMWs 15 years from now...but I'm not tryin to pay 50k for a car and then be at the mercy of these tuners cuz the car is impossible to tune yourself without a lot of time invested

Lot of people were pissed about the fuel pump recalls, sittin around for weeks with no $45k bimmer cuz every one in the country is waitin on a new pump. If BMW manages to have built a turbocharged european car that HOLDS its value well over the next 5-10 years...I'll probably sell my soul to them and bow down in worship

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  10. red97gst

red97gst New Member

As to the oriiginal poster, the G37 will hold its value better. If i was gonna buy the car and sell within 5 years, I'd get the Infiniti. If I was keeping the car for 10+ years I'd get the BMW

11. Lucifer

Lucifer New Member

BMWs have free maintenance.

12. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

G37 alota different reasons main reason?? that interior is :bowdown:

13. Striker22

Striker22 New Member

Awful comparison :rofl:. Just because it can take a reflashed ECU, & chip doesnt suggest its going to be anything like a supra in 15 years

14. Masta Z

Masta Z FUCK BOSTON

the g37 is US built now correct?

/next

15. art_VW_shark

16. chpkorean

chpkorean New Member

Not familiar with BMW warranty? New 335i would be 100% covered for 4 years 60,000 miles, everything including oil changes are covered for free.

17. arabphil

arabphil New Member

i think the Bmw will keep you in love with it a lot longer. Ive driven a g35 and a 2006 330 ci and i was able to really hit the gas on both, and the Bmw felt way more exhilarating to drive. Now i know neither of the cars mentioned are as good as the cars ur talking about especially since g37 and 335i are supposed to be major improvements on their predecessors but thats just my experience.

Beautiful thing is, can you really go wrong with either one?

18. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

they just dyno'd the 335 with the proceed chip and exhaust at over 400 rwhp.

[​IMG]

FWIW, this wasn't even our highest run. The best peak numbers from todays tuning session came from this run:

[​IMG]

Full Disclosure:
    Today's runs were on 98 octane, not 91oct pump gas. These results are with stock downpipes/stock primary cats. We will be installing catless downpipes as soon as we get them from Riss Racing. That means that the only exhaust mod is our cat-back which replaces the secondary cats. We are still running the stock intercooler and diverter valves as well. We are playing around with a custom intake design but have yet to quantify its effects. Still too busy with PROcede mapping to get to that point just yet. We figured you guys just wanted to know what the car is capable of given just over 1 year of development time. I'm guessing that there is still another 20-30whp in there too v2 baby.
    Cheers,
    Shiv

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93865

Lets see the G37 put down that amount of power with the cost of the chip and exhaust :)

19. danneu8

danneu8 New Member

bmw will be more a drivers car if you like the feeling of being connected to the road. granted i've never driven the new g37 or the 335 this is just my experiance with other bmw's and the g35.

20. Mint

Mint Active Member

Get a 335i those are beautiful cars, and they're pretty quick stock unmodified.

Also, to the plasticpimp: I saw that thread, and all those people are kinda stupid for worrying about a motor blowing from just a catback and a conservative tune on 98 oct, and you guys need to realize different dynos put out different numbers. Put that car on a Mustang Dyno and take like 20% off that number.

Point being, they shouldn't be worrying about a car blowing its doors just from a catback and a tune, the car is basically stock.

21. Bleed

Bleed New Member

my only complaint about the 335i is the interior feels really cheap in quality...even compared to the e46. not sure what happened on that one.

22. art_VW_shark

i far prefer teh design of the E90 interior to that of the G37s, but yeah the materials look a bit sharper in the g

23. Tonydogx

Tonydogx OG status.

If money is major concern to you then get the G37. BMW isn't for the cheap

24. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz I love hot girls.

The sedan is pretty bad, but the coupe actually is OK in my opinion. Yes, hard plastics here and there, but the back seat is almost E63ish :).