330xi

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ChosenGSR, Nov 8, 2003.

1. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

How sporty/fun to drive is a 330xi ? I really want a 330ci but I need to be able to drive the car in the winter/some snow... The 330xi sports package doesnt even have wheels wider than 205 :hs:

2. Doodie head

Doodie head i have no legs

i thought audi's used the torsen system and the TT uses the haldex.

3. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Yeah that is right. The Audi A4, A6 and A8 (and the VW Passat and Phaeton) use a Torsen (Torque Sensing) center diff which is set at a 50/50 front/rear torque split. While the TT, A3 (and VW Golf) use a Haldex diff which is a front drive system until slip is detected, at which point is sends power to the rear wheels.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2003
  4. ChosenGSR

so how undrivable would a 330ci be in the winter?

5. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Not that bad. My dad has a '00 325i and he used it in Minnesota for a couple winters. Traction control worked pretty good. He spun it a couple times, but only at low speeds, going on glare ice. Besides that, he didn't have any problem, and I didn't have any problem either when driving it. Even tracked straight on a gravel road covered in snow, granted the traction control was going nuts.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I'm looking at 330is right now, and I think you'll be fine with another set of wheels an snow tires for the winter. That's what I would do instead of getting an xi.

7. ChosenGSR

thats extra 2k atleast :hs:

8. F1fan

F1fan Guest

The rear wheel drive E46 3 series are not bad in the snow when they have the proper rubber. Dedicated winter/snow/ice tires do wonders for handling. "All Season" just doesn't cut it.

You can get by with just switching the rubber on the stock wheels. Get something like Blizzaks or Alpin Artics and you will be fine.

If $$$ is the concern have you considered a certified pre-owned BMW? You get a factory warranty extension and save significant $$'s because the previous owner took the depreciation hit. BMW also offers some great financing like 1.9% for 60 months.