330CI or M3

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NavS, Jun 21, 2007.

1. NavS

NavS its me!

Okay so I looked around and I've found this two that are similar in year/mileage... The M3 costs 15k more... Would I really be missing out by going the cheaper route? I don't really know much about them to be serious, I've looked around a couple forums to see what to look out for...

When I talk about difference, is there a HUGE difference? I'm also assuming the insurance is going to have huge difference? Please help, I'm a newb.

Some of the cars I checked out had an "M sport package" big deal?

2. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Yes there is a huge difference, yes there will be a huge difference in insurance as well. Does the difference warrant 15k? You're the only one that can answer that. The 330 is fabulous especially with the performance package aka zhp. I've owned that car myself for a few years and enjoyed it a lot. I think you should test drive both and see how you feel about this after the fact.

Being where I am today, I wouldn't spend extra 15k to upgrade to the M. I already own a 97 M3 which is gradually becoming less and less streetable. I don't care if I drive a turtle as my DD.

3. NavS

NavS its me!

Yeah, I guess a test drive is the only way out, both ones I've seen are private deals, and people don't really like test drivers... I'm gonna have to go down to Toronto to get a test drive... Maybe this weekend.

4. chipchip

chipchip It's not to be cut meat with.

new M3>330

5. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Also in terms of up keep the 330 should be alot cheaper to run. The M3 is a bit harsh and stiff and edgey. The 330 I would say would be a much better street car or dd. If you have the means a new 335I would be perfect between the two cars. Power and speed close the the M with even more tq and a good solid ride with out being harsh and stiff.

Also the M will hold value a little better and it looks much better (18in wheels, M body work, S54 (the best NA straight six ever made). I would stay way from SMG because if it breaks out of warrenty it's going to cost to fix it.

Good luck man. Are you buying used?

6. NavS

NavS its me!

Yeah the most I have is 30 grand at the very most, and the 330 comes in under 30 grand after taxes and one year's insurance. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to wait some more until I have some more money to get the M.

I was looking at 2002-2004s. and yeah I was going to use it as a dd bout 20km a day.

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I owned a silver metalic 2004 330ci/6 with the performance package, it was a phenomenal car. I've had several HPDE instructors tell me that engine aside it was hard to tell between that and a e46 M3. It does lack the LSD and it does lack 100 hp. :dunno:

8. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

E46 330i with sport package > E46 M3.

9. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

I would pick the M3.

But I'm a snob like that. Not so much from the status part, but I like having the fastest model available.

I loved the hell out of my E46 M3. Though I really do not know if I would recommend driving one in Ontario.

10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

That's why the 330 is the better choice for a DD.

A sport package 330 is as fast as you really need to go on the street, and if he's interested in a track car he never would have asked the question in the first place.