32bit VS 64bit. Will the majority of my progz work on a 64-bit set up?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bojangles6, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

This is probably a simple, yet common question. I'm thinking of upgrading to an i7 and adding quite a bit of ram to the set up. I've never ran anything on a 64 bit processor, so I of course have my worries. On most searches I've ran, the majority of results were articles from 2005-2006. Of course, those weren't very helpful considering how much the computer world has changed.

My question is, what are the differences? Will most of my programs still work, or will I have to search for 64 bit programs the majority of my time? Here's some programs I am really concerned about:

Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Premiere
    SMartFTP (they offer a 64 bit version. At least I think so.)
    ConvertXtoDVD
    3D Studio Max
    Lightwave 3D
    Cinema 4D
    Dreamweaver
    Frontpage

I'm sure there are many others, but these are the only I can think of atm.

64-bit programs are harder to find, in my opinion. I'm just concerned if I had a 64 bit set up, if it would run those programs that only offer 32 bit. What else could I expect with a 64 bit processor? Is there anything I should know?

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

it really isn't an issue anymore. I have been running 64 bit for almost 2 years with xp-64 and vista-64. The only software I have found that didn't run was on xp-64 they don't make a version of the zune software for it and for both xp and vista-64 there is a vpn client that uses something that only 32bit operating systems have in them(I don't remember what it was)

looking at your software I see no problems. Also it looks like the 64 bit version of Cinema 4D actually takes full advantage of the 64 bit processing.

Don't listen to anyone that says anything about driver problems, they are full of shit.

3. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

Thanks for the help, man. Which OS would you suggest I run? XP 64 or Vista 64? I do enjoy Vista, I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty fond of it, but I am open to suggestions. As I said, I'll most likely go with an i7 and probably at least start off with 3 gigs of ram. I'll eventually upgrade that to at least 6, I'm sure.

4. i have actually heard bad things bout xp64, but never owned it. vista 64 bit should be good, i personally dont like it though, but if you do, i say go with that.
    u could wait and get windows 7!

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

This brings up a question I have... not to thread jack...

I want to upgrade from Vista Business 32-bit to Ultimate 64-Bit. I currently have a few programs that I have to run in XP Compatibility Mode for them to work. Will I have any additional problems getting them to work in a 64-Bit OS?

I thought Vista 64-Bit had all the necessary files to run 32-Bit programs just fine. I didn't know there was even a 32 vs 64 bit issue, I just thought it was a Vista vs XP vs 98 etc issue...

6. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

I would go for vista. The 64 bit version runs great. I would go ahead and start with a 6gb kit for the i7. When looking at memory for the i7 don't look at the speed of the memory. Most people get the 920 which only uses 1333 by default so there is no real need for 1600 unless you are overclocking. I would get 6 and that way if you ever need it you have an easy upgrade to 12(you can never have too much memory) besides 6 isn't much more that 3 when it come to the cost.

yeah xp64 is kinda lame. not much runs on it and it isn't really any better other than for an e-penis. vista or 7 with 64bit is great.

The core architecture of the 64 bit system had to be completely rewritten to work with 64 bit. While most 32-bit programs work in the 64-32 compatibility mode automatically. Some advanced programs, normally network and vpn software, tend to use the core architecture from the 32bit and it breaks the compatibility.

Don't buy the upgrade version of vista if you want to upgrade to 64bit. With xp upgrade you could just stick an old disk in the drive and it would confirm that you had an older version of the operating system, now you accually have to upgrade the old version and you can't start completly fresh with the upgrade version. To make maters worse when you try to upgrade to a 64bit it will tell you that you need to format the harddrive in order to install the 64 bit because the old stuff isn't compatable, but then once the computer restarts it checks the drive again to find the old version and it can no longer find it and will not let you install. So buy full version if you want to install 64bit.