320gb hdd works in NF4 system but not NF2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by THT, Feb 25, 2006.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I have a 320GB PATA drive that I was using with my DFI Infinity via a PATA->SATA adapter. I connected it to an NF4 board (Asus A8N-SLI Premium) using the PATA IDE channel so I could transfer some data. I took the drive and reconnected it to my Infinity via the SATA adapter however, Windows would fail to load altogether. I tried using the PATA IDE channel however, Windows treated it as a 128GB, unformatted drive. I took the drive out of the Infinity-system and put it into my other NF2 system which uses an Abit NF7 motherboard but met with the same 128GB, unformatted drive issue.

To verify that the data on the drive was still intact, I plugged the drive into the NF4 system and voila, everything shows up properly; all data is accounted for. At this point, I'm not sure what to do to get this drive working in my NF2 systems.

Would a different OS cause this problem? I ask because both NF2 systems run Windows 2000 while the NF4 system is Windows XP Professional.

Help, please.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Are there sata drivers installed on the NF2 systems OS?

3. wparsons

wparsons New Member

I'm not sure about 2k, but I know XP needed to have SP1 to properly recognize anything over a certain HD size(120gb sounds about right), so I'd check into that on the 2K system.

Another thing to look into is the motherboard bios, it might need an update to be able to handle bigger HD's(48bit LBA, or something like that).

4. THT

Thanks for the tips but the drive was working fine in my original NF2 system and only acted up after it was plugged into the NF4 system. At any rate, I did a LLF...it was all data that could be replaced anyway.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

you did NOT do an LLF, you CANNOT do that on new drives, only factories can.

6. THT

Really? Then what was done when I chose the LLF option on my onboard SATA raid controller? I'm not being a smartass or flippant...I'd like to know what happened and why the option is there if it's not really a LLF.

7. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

not really a LLF, more like a zero filler.

LLF would actually reset the sectors on the drive as they would shift over time. this problem has been fixed and rarely happens, and if it does, the drive just dies.